Gregory Corso's Earth Egg

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2005
      Unmuzzled OX published Gregory Corso's book Earth Egg. It's a history of
      the world. Today I came across a Latin proverb: All that lives comes
      from the egg; omne vivum ex ovo.
    • Kirby Olson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2005
        Is it really a history of the earth?

        I'm getting deeper and deeper into Corso. Somebody wrote an anecdote
        yesterday to my compilation and he said that Corso could play classical
        piano and that he played a Chopin nocture quite wonderfullly. I didn't have
        any idea of this.

        I've read the Earth Egg many times over and never saw it as a history of the
        earth.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2005
          Perhaps `creation myth' might be a better characterization of
          Earth Egg than `history of the world.' Anyway, it's not
          about poultry. For anyone who hasn't seen Earth Egg, it is a
          boxed unfolding ten-foot-long drawing accompanied by a booklet of
          poems. I first encountered the original of the drawing, a Japanese
          notebook, in the Columbia University archives. It was merely a
          drawing; there were no words. When I had it photo-stated to the
          original size, Gregory started writing on the stats. I wanted to
          say: STOP! But in the event he certainly knew what he was doing.

          Earth Egg was a bugger to publish. I have some dozen remaining at
          $100. If you're very rich and dying of curiosity, send your
          order to Unmuzzled OX 105 Hudson Street New York 10013. I'll
          throw in five other titles free, including Corso's Writings from OX.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2005
            Michael, do you also have copies of Corso's novel American Express? I heard
            you had reprinted it and then Gregory wanted it off the market. What on
            earth was that novel about? I could see bits and pieces of it as an
            allegory of the Beat movement and everybody wanting to find some scheme that
            would improve matters. But I don't think anybody ever figured anything out.
            I read it once when I was about 22 at Naropa and have rarely thought about
            it since. I reread it cursorily while working on my book on Corso and just
            decided to stick with the poetry!

            -- Kirby

            >From: mandreox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            >To: unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Unmuzzled Ox] Re: Gregory Corso's Earth Egg
            >Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:00:09 -0000
            >
            >Perhaps `creation myth' might be a better characterization of
            >Earth Egg than `history of the world.' Anyway, it's not
            >about poultry. For anyone who hasn't seen Earth Egg, it is a
            >boxed unfolding ten-foot-long drawing accompanied by a booklet of
            >poems. I first encountered the original of the drawing, a Japanese
            >notebook, in the Columbia University archives. It was merely a
            >drawing; there were no words. When I had it photo-stated to the
            >original size, Gregory started writing on the stats. I wanted to
            >say: STOP! But in the event he certainly knew what he was doing.
            >
            >Earth Egg was a bugger to publish. I have some dozen remaining at
            >$100. If you're very rich and dying of curiosity, send your
            >order to Unmuzzled OX 105 Hudson Street New York 10013. I'll
            >throw in five other titles free, including Corso's Writings from OX.
            >
            >--- In UnmuzzledOX "Kirby Olson" wrote:
            >Is it really a history of the earth?
            >I'm getting deeper and deeper into Corso. Somebody wrote an anecdote
            >yesterday to my compilation and he said that Corso could play
            >classical piano and that he played a Chopin nocture quite
            >wonderfullly. I didn't have any idea of this.
            >
            >I've read the Earth Egg many times over and never saw it as a history
            >of the earth.

          • Kirby Olson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5 2:44 PM
              If you had 60,000 dolllars a year and a family of four could you live
              comfortably somewhere with 30 miles of NYC?

              Given that sum, what and where would you live?

            • voxhaul@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5 3:43 PM
                Clinton Hill Brooklyn--near Pratt University--an up and coming
                neighborhood very suitable for a family where the rent for a
                two-bedroom place with space and light would be around 1750-2000 per
                month--this would mean limiting the amount of eating out and taking
                advantage of city amenities for health and transportation--but is doable

                steven hall

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 6 4:57 PM
                  Hi Steven, This was very helpful. I looked it up.

                  Where was the kid with the IPOD killed? This was in E. Flatbush I think
                  they said. So north of Prospect Park is ok and south of it isn't?

                  I like Prospect Park. Has everybody on this list seen the Camperdown Elm
                  outside of the Aududon Bathhouse? It's a strange little warped tree that
                  Marianne Moore wrote a later poem about trying to save it. It's still
                  there. It must be the ugliest tree I've ever seen. It's so ugly it's almost
                  elegant.

                  Almost. She compares this tree to the massive elms in the Asher Durand
                  painting set in Kaaterskill Falls which is worth a visit. She must have
                  been joking to compare such a stunted tree to such a massive canopy of elms
                  and other stately trees.

                  Definitely worth reading the poem and scheduling a day around its visit.
                  Bring a weird lunch of odd Asian crackers that smell like fish just to
                  complete the weirdness.

                  East of the park were a string of nice stores and restaurants. West of it
                  is the Brooklyn Public Library and so on. I'm told by my multicultural
                  students that the best place for a white dude like myself to get killed
                  would be Flatbush. So I went along Flatbush in the car to investigate. For
                  some reason there were a lot of young black men weaving through the traffic
                  on tiny bicycles -- barely children's bicycles. It made a neat effect.

                  I was in lower Harlem at 126th St. and a nice older black fellow in
                  Morningside Park told me to get out of the park before I was killed.
                  Imagine someone telling Oprah to get out of Hermes or else she'd be killed.
                  The double standard just kills me. Well, not literally. My students say
                  that they are just as likely to be killed in the same neighborhoods so I
                  shouldn't take it personally.

                  I think the problem is that if one out of a thousand people is violently
                  racist or just plain violent then in a community of 20,000 there are 20
                  people who will hurt you. In a multicultural tapestry like Brooklyn this
                  means always watching your back esp. if you are sporting an IPOD. There
                  used to be a Norwegian American community somewhere in East Brooklyn but for
                  some reason Robert Moses killed that community by putting an elevated
                  highway right through their main street and wiped out all the businesses but
                  that could be more tendentiousness by Robert Caro his demented biographer.

                  I used to like living in Seattle. I liked living in Portland. Prices
                  quadrupled there. I hate the south. I live in the Catskills and it's
                  somewhat isolating but my 5 bedroom house cost less than 200 grand and
                  overlooks an untouched mountain and a beautiful river which fills up with
                  fog every morning and then slowly lifts and my kids are very safe here (the
                  last murder in this county that wasn't solved was some 40 years ago, but of
                  course friends and lovers do kill one another). There were more people in
                  this county the size of Rhode Island in 1800. There are now only 40,000.
                  There is one bookstore. Mostly it's a nature park for the New york City
                  water department. Giant straws reach from here into Manhattan and tiny
                  unmanned submarines patrol the huge cement straws looking for cracks.

                  I only make about 46,000 here but I think if I went to a larger area I could
                  get 60, possibly, if I really tried. What about Providence? What about
                  Philadelphia?

                  Hey, who's on this list, and where do you live? I need your information.
                  Please function.

                  -- Kirby Olson

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7 1:31 AM
                    Until recently I would have recommended my little complex on Staten
                    Island. Then six months ago, a crackhead lady moved in with her
                    hustles and street action. And then some young thugs given to
                    Saturday night brawls and arrests. And finally a family of three
                    whites, with a hard ex-con dad, an out-of-control little boy and an
                    astoundingly loud mother. Outside now threatens like the Upper West
                    Side in the early seventies.

                    I've wondered why this little neighborhood suddenly tipped. It's
                    probably coincidence or my bad luck. But perhaps the ongoing New York
                    construction boom has forced landlords to cut rents.

                    So far as I know the Norwegian community still functions.

                  • Kirby Olson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 7 6:02 AM
                      Michael, is there a Norwegian community in NYC? where? you mean the one in
                      Brooklyn? Where is it, exactly?

                      Your neighborhood could tip back. I live in a town with three streets --
                      Main St. and then Elm St. (the elms are gone due to the nightmare of Dutch
                      elm's) and then Second St. I live on a circle 8 adjacent to the town. When
                      we moved in we were warned about the albino nutcase living across from us.
                      He was the cocaine supplier to the entire Catskills region and when he got a
                      shipment cars came every three minutes for hours at 2 am. But next door to
                      him was the village policeman and he finally caught him with a supply in his
                      house and the albino was shipped upstate. In his stead is now living a
                      state policeman -- a tough young guy who spends a lot of time on his garden
                      and mows his lawn twice a week and whose wife is preggers. It took him
                      almost a year to clean up the mess of the albino's house (the albino was
                      only renting -- he looked like a white gerbil with pink eyes) but the cop
                      has bought the house and intends to stay.

                      The sheriff lives just behind us. So they've got us surrounded. Most of
                      the other people around are retired -- an electrician who worked for NYSEG,
                      a guy who worked for the railroad, and so on. Everybody works on their
                      gardens except for us, but the lady who owned the house before us planted
                      perennials and they still come up as if by magic.

                      I do mow the lawn but only once every ten days.

                      We're 120 miles as the crow flies from NYC but you have to crawl on county
                      roads so it takes 3 hours generally, but if you speed you can make it in
                      1.5. Problem is every podunk is filled with police officers whose pay is
                      made up of speeding tickets.

                      160 police officers get killed every year in this country and 130 of them
                      during routine traffic stops. They don't want you to stay in the car and
                      would rather have you get out and put your hands on the roof of the car but
                      they'd get sued the village cop has informed me. He's been shot at several
                      times, but always by estranged husbands. Last week the cops shot a kid who
                      came out of a house with a machete. This was in a town with two streets
                      called Franklin.

                      I envy European cities that don't permit every idiot to own a lethal weapon.
                      I wonder if in Asia everybody is slaughtering cops and neighbors.

                      -- Kirby

                    • rutertoot@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 7 7:32 AM
                        There is a Norwegian community in Bay Ridge. I looked at an apartment on
                        Ave P in Bensonhurst two weeks ago. The apartment wasn't too bad, overlooking
                        the backyards of the low-rise side street duplexes. The area can be
                        reached by F or N train which is handy. It Jewish, then very Italian, and now
                        becoming Oriental and Russian (along Kings Highway anyway). I saw Orthodox Jewish
                        boys playing a version of softball in the park, so they are moving over from
                        Borough Park perhaps. The area was near 65th St. and Bay Parkway and
                        south.
                      • voxhaul@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7 2:08 PM
                          people are not slaughtering neighbors or cops in Asia where I live
                          now--there are a lot of traffic accidents in Shanghai where I am
                          presently working but generally in Asia disputes get talked down or out
                          rather than resorting to the physical--of couse the fact that guns are
                          simply not available to anyone helps but it is not just that--there is
                          a mutual feeling of the basic brotherhood that exists--my Scottish
                          mother lives in Florida where cutting someone's pickup off in traffic
                          often results in a brandished shotgun--some misguided macho ego display
                          which extrapolates into Iraq ergo London Underground (as reflected in
                          nationalist rearview mirror)