Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Escaping Bohemia

  • Halvard Johnson
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 8, 2005
      On Nov 8, 2005, at 7:26 PM, souvienstoidemoublier wrote:

      > I haven't been following what is happening in France. I think maybe
      > the cops shot someone and there was uproar, I don't know. I am not in
      > France. I am around enough uproar to suit me for right now, thank
      > you. Plus I have a sore throat, some headaches, seem to have a fever,
      > sweat . . . I really don't think me organizing an airlift to drop
      > pairs of Levis on France is within my present means or going to fix
      > the situation.

      In the suburbs of Paris, two kids hiding from cops in a power station
      or substation managed to electrocute themselves. That's what started it
      all. I mean, that was the occasion of the riots' beginning. The
      underlying
      cause is that France has beaucoup people who can't conjugate French
      verbs
      well enough and thus are relegated to suburban joblessness and all
      that entails. The French, of course, do things backwards and thus don't
      keep poor minority folks in the central city where they belong.

      Be well, Souvien.

      Hal
    • souvienstoidemoublier
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
        Thanks.

        I looked it up, you are right. It also seems to have some major
        aspects of ethnic identity or alienation to it. I don't know whether
        Le Pen himself is still the real big deal, but I hope this doesn't
        invigorate the Front National . . . I might also note that a movement
        actually have more legs if it is able to get past being a personality
        cult or too centered around a mortal . . .

        If you go here, it seems they are exploiting it, kind of with "Le Pen
        says 'I told you so'"

        http://www.frontnational.com/

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Halvard Johnson <halvard@e...>
        wrote:

        > On Nov 8, 2005, at 7:26 PM, souvienstoidemoublier wrote:
        >
        > > I haven't been following what is happening in France. I think
        maybe
        > > the cops shot someone and there was uproar, I don't know. I am
        not in
        > > France. I am around enough uproar to suit me for right now, thank
        > > you. Plus I have a sore throat, some headaches, seem to have a
        fever,
        > > sweat . . . I really don't think me organizing an airlift to drop
        > > pairs of Levis on France is within my present means or going to
        fix
        > > the situation.
        >
        > In the suburbs of Paris, two kids hiding from cops in a power
        station
        > or substation managed to electrocute themselves. That's what started
        it
        > all. I mean, that was the occasion of the riots' beginning. The
        > underlying
        > cause is that France has beaucoup people who can't conjugate French
        > verbs
        > well enough and thus are relegated to suburban joblessness and all
        > that entails. The French, of course, do things backwards and thus
        don't
        > keep poor minority folks in the central city where they belong.
        >
        > Be well, Souvien.
        >
        > Hal

      • Kirby Olson
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
          There doesn't seem to be a way to escape it. Their fragmented and
          nonfunctional societies force them to bleed citizens but they hold on to
          their faith.

          So they come here and yet remain more or less nonfunctional. There is a
          lack of enterprise built into their system, and so they can't compete any
          longer. I can't understand it, but innovation which seems a big part of
          western prosperity is almost stomped upon in the Islamic world.

          However in Paris when I was there I liked the little Arab shops. This was
          1982. At the time my French was extremely poor, and going into those shops
          was a haven because I could speak in sign language and they were fine with
          this. So it was a respite from the belligerance of French language purists.

          Since then I worked a lot harder on my French, and have been told by some
          Frenchies that I was near native. So in my more recent trips to France I
          have fit in better and can speak with practically anyone on any topic.

          I suspect multiculturalism is a canard. There is no community without a
          community of faith. And somehow separate communities have such a chasm
          between them that it is very hard to speak across them without finding a
          common denominator.

          I did have an Arab friend in Paris, though. He was a Lutheran fellow who
          lived in my building in 1987. Weirdly enough there are Arabic Lutherans all
          over the place. There are 30,000 of them in Palestine, for example. I find
          them instantly available, as it's a common culture. There are black
          Lutherans, too, and I feel an instant affinity with them. Tim Duncan for
          instance who plays for the San Antonio Spurs is a Lutheran. I could sense
          it instantly. And it turns out he's from the Danish West Indies. He has
          the same weird blend of external humility and internal toughness that I find
          characterizes the better Lutherans (I don't have the humility for some
          reason, and I am a little less than tough, but but but).

          I have two cultures that I feel fairly comfortable in -- postmodern
          surrealist and Jewish culture (somehow they come together in America) and
          Lutheranism. Outside of those, I feel quite uncomfortable.

          I struggle with the idea of how to conserve my culture, with how to not be
          reactionary. Is it possible to be conservative without becoming
          reactionary? Is it possible to be liberal without becoming anarchist? It
          seems there is a slippery slope on either side of that divide.

          The French will have to find some way to negotiate this vast gap. When I
          was in Paris they would round up the Arabs at Les Halles train station.
          Once I was walking along the metro platform and a guy running from the cops
          stumbled across me and I inadvertantly knocked him flat. He was a big
          Arabic dude. The cops thanked me for my efforts when in fact I had done
          nothing at all. I was just in the escapee's way is all. I actually felt
          sorry for the escapee.

          The funny thing is that my own passport had gone out of date the day before
          but the cops assumed I was one of them.

          "De rien," I said in the best accent I could muster, and went on up to
          Beauborg to study my French further. I was using their fantastic series of
          VHS tapes on urbanism and I must have listened to a thousand hours on
          urbanism and French painting that summer. And my passport remained out of
          date, but my clothes made me look French enough I guess so I was never
          stopped.
        • Kirby Olson
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
            The Irish rioted in the summer of 1863 in New York City. It was called the
            New York Draft Riots. Apparently it was one of the largest riots in
            American history. The history were coming in on ships out of Ireland in
            massive quantities -- 15,000 a week is the usual estimate. The potato
            famine had wiped them out. The Protestants didn't know what to do with all
            these Catholics. The Civil War was one idea -- send them off in droves and
            get them killed. The Irish rioted, and they also lynched blacks in NYC --
            the usual estimate is 59 blacks on the evening of July 13, 1863. They tried
            to burn down a colored orphans' asylum, and succeeded in doing it, but only
            after the children had escaped from an underground tunnel.

            If anybody has way too much time on their hands there is an excellent 500
            page novel on this sequence of events entitled Paradise Alley by Kevin
            Baker. I enjoyed it. I listened to the unabridged on tape, and then later
            read the book. Kevin Baker employs an army of fact-checkers which make his
            historical dramas quite fun for those who like fun facts.

            I was going to draw a parallel between NYC draft riots and the riots in
            Paris, but feel unable to do so.

            They're both riots, and that may be where the similarity ends.
          • Halvard Johnson
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
              On Nov 9, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Kirby Olson wrote:

              > I was going to draw a parallel between NYC draft riots and the
              > riots in
              > Paris, but feel unable to do so.
              >
              > They're both riots, and that may be where the similarity ends.

              You're a riot too, Kirby.

              Hal "One would have to have a heart of stone not
              to laugh at the death of Little Nell."
              --Oscar Wilde

              Halvard Johnson
              ================
              halvard@...
              halvard@...
              http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
              http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
              http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
            • souvienstoidemoublier
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                In the movies, your passport always get examined and stamped. When I
                visited Paris, there was a corridor we went down and then I went down
                another and my passport was not inspected or stamped. I was concerned
                about whether I would be allowed to leave, since, at least according
                to the movies, I had not officially entered. But I had no problem. I
                think I may have called the American Embassy but they were closed on
                Mondays or something. This surprised be, but if you think about it,
                barbers know everything about politics, maybe the embassies hire
                barbers, who are used to having Mondays off.

                --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                big
                > Arabic dude. The cops thanked me for my efforts when in fact I had
                done
                > nothing at all. I was just in the escapee's way is all. I actually
                felt
                > sorry for the escapee.
                >
                > The funny thing is that my own passport had gone out of date the day
                before
                > but the cops assumed I was one of them.
                >
                > "De rien," I said in the best accent I could muster, and went on up
                > Beauborg to study my French further. I was using their fantastic
                series of
                > VHS tapes on urbanism and I must have listened to a thousand hours
                on
                > urbanism and French painting that summer. And my passport remained
                out of
                > date, but my clothes made me look French enough I guess so I was

              • souvienstoidemoublier
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Were the Irish allowed to vote? I think there may have been some
                  element of reluctance to die fighting something that was a possibly
                  foreign country or an independence movement or to do so to free blacks
                  when the North may have been judgmental about people due to factors
                  other than merit and effort.

                  John/Souviens

                  [I don't understand this No Reply thing. By the way, I am not the
                  John who WROTE the No Reply that went This happened once before, when
                  I came to your door, no reply-eye-eye . . .]

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                    Tammany Hall was the organ through which the Irish organized political
                    resistance to being sent off to slaughter in the Civil War. With 15,000 a
                    week coming in it made for a powerful political machine. The film Gangs of
                    New York is set against the background of the draft riots. The ending scene
                    in which the fighting is done against the backdrop of Yankee soldiers is
                    part of it.

                    The problem is that Gettysburg cost the army a good portion of its men even
                    though it was a victory. So they needed new blood, and the Irish were the
                    best pool available. They had just arrived and were pissed that they were
                    being sent off to die as soon as they stepped off the boat.

                    At any rate, Ken Baker's book Paradise alley is a good introduction to that
                    period. Meticulously researched, etc. Gangs of New York on the other hand
                    is filled with anomalies and telescopes a century of history into a weird
                    little melodrama.

                    Baker has a newer book about Coney Island called Dreamland. I hope to read
                    it next summer.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                      Hal, I like the poem up on your blog at present. What's the idea behind it?
                      Quite wonderful.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                        What poem's that, Kirby?

                        Hal

                        On Nov 10, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Kirby Olson wrote:

                        > Hal, I like the poem up on your blog at present. What's the idea
                        > behind it?
                        > Quite wonderful.
                        >

                        >> From: Halvard Johnson <halvard@...>
                        >> To: unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com
                        >> Subject: Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Lawless New York City
                        >> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:03:29 -0500
                        >>

                        >> On Nov 9, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Kirby Olson wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> I was going to draw a parallel between NYC draft riots and the
                        >>> riots in
                        >>> Paris, but feel unable to do so.
                        >>>
                        >>> They're both riots, and that may be where the similarity ends.
                        >>>

                        >> You're a riot too, Kirby.
                        >>
                        >> Hal "One would have to have a heart of stone not
                        >> to laugh at the death of Little Nell."
                        >> --Oscar Wilde
                        >>
                        >> Halvard Johnson
                        >> ================
                        >> halvard@...
                        >> halvard@...
                        >> http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
                        >> http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
                        >> http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com

                        > ~-->
                        > home page
                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/J.MolB/TM

                      • Halvard Johnson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                          Oh, "Works in Progress"? No idea behind it at all.
                          I don't much care for ideas. Ideas in poetry, id est.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 11, 2005
                            It has 31 sections or so and each line is about something we do.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 14, 2005
                              Yes, right. Sorry if I seemed snappish before. I was just about
                              out the door, heading for a few days in Chicagoland (now,
                              a night's sleep and a morning's drive from home again).

                              Yes, things to do, unfinished jobs, etc. Four lines at a pitch,
                              it grows.

                              I'm glad you like it.

                              Hal