RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] Corso, Gregory (Nunzio) (1930- )

  • Warren Woessner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had a Fluxus exhibit in 1993, and
      published a book "In the Spirit of Fluxus"
      Warren Woessner

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2005
        A.M. Fine was a gay activist avant le fait. I happened to be in an
        outdoor cafe c. 1972, and Al Hansen, Beck's grand dad, was at another
        table. I greatly admired Al's primer on happenings. Suddenly this
        weird street guy pointed at Hansen and started accusingly chanting
        maggot/faggot, maggot/faggot! A few months later I met this street
        guy at Buecker & Harpsichords, an art gallery. It was Albert Fine. My
        guess is Al had manifested undue heterosexuality and Albert was
        punishing him with some real performance art.

        --- "Warren Woessner" wrote:
        The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had a Fluxus exhibit in 1993, and
        published a book "In the Spirit of Fluxus"

        Jackson Maclow was involved with Fluxus as were several NYC
        composers like George Maciunas John Cage and performance artist Dick
        Higgins--also I think Ray Johnson the artist was involved with
        them--the modern pop star Beck is the grandson of Al Hansen the
        Fluxus pioneer and has used some of Hansen's work in his stage
        performances...the rock band Sonic Youth has also used some of
        macunias' work as a reference/influence--there is a strain of
        influence
        through Lamonte Young to Philip Glass and Arthur Russell
        (Russell the
        east village composer who is being rediscovered was an early
        champion
        of Maclow's work and was Ginsberg's primary music teacher)--
        and
        John
        cage's work with Merce Cunnigham and Dick Higgins performance
        art were
        seminal in the generation of post-Cunningham dancers like
        Barbara
        Dilley and Douglas Dunn who founded Grand Union and developed
        the
        contact improv school of dance which was taught and performed
        at
        Naropa
        School which was founded of course by Ginsberg--so actually
        there is
        much interweaving of influence and inspiration from Fluxus
        through the
        Beats to the so-called NY School of poetry/art
        (O'Hara/Ashberry/Larry
        Rivers/Kenneth Koch/Ted Berrigan) and a whole generation of
        younger NYC
        artists...sorry if I am rambling I might come up with
        something
        more
        coherent if I think some more...Steven Hall

        url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links