RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] Corso, Gregory (Nunzio) (1930- )

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      Fluxus doesn't get a lot of coverage in the hinterlands. Yoko Ono, yes, but
      not Fluxus generally. There is a poet named Mike Topp who lives in NYC
      around 14th and B, and he is quite influenced by Fluxus. I don't know of
      anybody else who is. Topp is around 45.

      What was the connection between the Beats and Fluxus? Corso slept with a
      woman designer who was in that movement, I think. Her name begins with an
      M. I think it was a one-word name. Is she still around? Did she ever
      write about Corso?

      I'm trying to compile a book of anecdotes on Corso and what is missing are
      the women. I have about thirty anecdotes so far, but all are by men. Corso
      had so many lovers. Perhaps a few of them would be willing to break their
      discretion and say something about what he was like!

      Another thing -- it was always thought that his mother went back to Italy.
      But how or why would she go back? She was 17, and had arrived at the
      beginning of the Great Depression. She apparently lived her whole life in
      northern New Jersey, and even five years ago was still alive. It would be
      fascinating to get her anecdote of leaving Corso. I would also like to
      track down surviving members of the families in which Corso was fostered.
      There is an impression that Corso was always poor -- but the families that
      he stayed with until he was eleven were quite wealthy -- they had to be --
      and so Corso lived a very uneven childhood.

      -- Kirby Olson

    • voxhaul@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
        Jackson Maclow was involved with Fluxus as were several NYC composers
        like George Maciunas John Cage and performance artist Dick
        higgins--also I think Ray Johnson the artist was involved with
        them--the modern pop star Beck is the grandson of Al Hansen the Fluxus
        pioneer and has used some of Hansen's work in his stage
        performances...the rock band Sonic Youth has also used some of
        macunias' work as a reference/influence--there is a strain of influence
        through Lamonte Young to Philip Glass and Arthur Russell (Russell the
        east village composer who is being rediscovered was an early champion
        of Maclow's work and was Ginsberg's primary music teacher)--and John
        cage's work with Merce Cunnigham and Dick Higgins performance art were
        seminal in the generation of post-Cunningham dancers like Barbara
        Dilley and Douglas Dunn who founded Grand Union and developed the
        contact improv school of dance which was taught and performed at Naropa
        School which was founded of course by Ginsberg--so actually there is
        much interweaving of influence and inspiration from Fluxus through the
        Beats to the so-called NY School of poetry/art (O'Hara/Ashberry/Larry
        Rivers/Kenneth Koch/Ted Berrigan) and a whole generation of younger NYC
        artists...sorry if I am rambling I might come up with something more
        coherent if I think some more...Steven Hall

        --
        and so Corso lived a very uneven childhood.

        -- Kirby Olson

        Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's
        FREE!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Warren Woessner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
          The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had a Fluxus exhibit in 1993, and
          published a book "In the Spirit of Fluxus"
          Warren Woessner

[...]

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2005
            A.M. Fine was a gay activist avant le fait. I happened to be in an
            outdoor cafe c. 1972, and Al Hansen, Beck's grand dad, was at another
            table. I greatly admired Al's primer on happenings. Suddenly this
            weird street guy pointed at Hansen and started accusingly chanting
            maggot/faggot, maggot/faggot! A few months later I met this street
            guy at Buecker & Harpsichords, an art gallery. It was Albert Fine. My
            guess is Al had manifested undue heterosexuality and Albert was
            punishing him with some real performance art.

            --- "Warren Woessner" wrote:
            The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had a Fluxus exhibit in 1993, and
            published a book "In the Spirit of Fluxus"

            Jackson Maclow was involved with Fluxus as were several NYC
            composers like George Maciunas John Cage and performance artist Dick
            Higgins--also I think Ray Johnson the artist was involved with
            them--the modern pop star Beck is the grandson of Al Hansen the
            Fluxus pioneer and has used some of Hansen's work in his stage
            performances...the rock band Sonic Youth has also used some of
            macunias' work as a reference/influence--there is a strain of
            influence
            through Lamonte Young to Philip Glass and Arthur Russell
            (Russell the
            east village composer who is being rediscovered was an early
            champion
            of Maclow's work and was Ginsberg's primary music teacher)--
            and
            John
            cage's work with Merce Cunnigham and Dick Higgins performance
            art were
            seminal in the generation of post-Cunningham dancers like
            Barbara
            Dilley and Douglas Dunn who founded Grand Union and developed
            the
            contact improv school of dance which was taught and performed
            at
            Naropa
            School which was founded of course by Ginsberg--so actually
            there is
            much interweaving of influence and inspiration from Fluxus
            through the
            Beats to the so-called NY School of poetry/art
            (O'Hara/Ashberry/Larry
            Rivers/Kenneth Koch/Ted Berrigan) and a whole generation of
            younger NYC
            artists...sorry if I am rambling I might come up with
            something
            more
            coherent if I think some more...Steven Hall

            url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links