Crimes of the Beats

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      Gas stations in Greenwich Village where Gregory Corso grew up have been
      converted to boutiques and, in one case, a garden gazebo. I seem to
      remember Gregory saying he stationed buddies on the corners with walkie-
      talkies to warn of approaching fuzz. "Department store coats" sound a
      little like the time Allen Ginsberg got pinched for holding a lot of
      stolen goods "belonging" to Herbert Huncke. But junkies live a life of
      crime. Gregory was a charmer. I introduced him to a fellow student at
      Columbia, he moved in with her for two days, and then disappeared with
      her typewriter. Gregory stole my friend Carolee's mother's ring. She
      complained to Ginsberg. He laughed.