RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] Born to Pray and Save!

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 10, 2005
      Protestantism comes out of St. Augustine while Catholicism comes out of St.
      Thomas.

      Their world views are diametrically opposed.

      St. Thomas assumed that the world was good and that everything in it was
      good.

      St. Augustine assumed that the world was evil and that everything in it was
      evil.

      There are only two things that matter according to St. Augustine: family and
      church. Your primary job as a Protestant is to keep your family together.

      Catholicism is much more inclusive. You have missions and nuns and priests
      who don't have families. They dedicate their lives to the poor. They
      consider the poor godly. We consider them to be evil and that they have to
      turn their lives toward God and that God's favor will illuminate their
      pocketbook.

      The different denominations are as different as different countries. I'm
      not arguing that you should change your viewpoint on this charity business,
      but you should recognize that this is a Catholic idea.

      But also see the paradox. The Catholic countries are poor compared to the
      Protestant countries.

      You have a one-kingdom system which doesn't function.

      We say take care of business first. It's a two kingdoms notion. It
      functions. The richest countries in the world on a per capita basis are the
      Lutheran countries. Some of the poorest -- if you look through the
      Caribbean or through South America, are the Catholic countries. The only
      countries that are even poorer are communist countries.

      Take care of business first.

      Think about it this way. If you have a bakery and you give away all your
      doughnuts every morning you go broke and there's nothing left for your
      family and soon you are a bum, too.

      If however you make everybody pay so that you make a profit then you stay in
      business then you support your family and you can throw a few rotten crusts
      to the poor at the end of the day. The result is better because it lasts
      longer, it is functional. Communist and Catholic thought are way too
      optimistic and don't think about business survival enough. The Democrats
      are lots of creepy Communists and Catholics. They mean well, but that's
      different.

      They don't function well.

      Protestants on the other do function, and there are virtually no poor in
      their countries. It's a paradox that the well-meaning left can't get their
      minds around. It saddens me. I do keep trying to make others see the
      light.

      There are two coinages -- that of this kingdom and that of the next. Try
      not to confuse them, and you have a functional economy and you will arrive
      at the next kingdom in an orderly fashion.
    • Halvard Johnson
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 14, 2005
        This is a nice take, but I think that when E. B. White was doing the
        column fillers for The New Yorker he would have headed this
        with "Block That Metaphor!"

        On Oct 14, 2005, at 6:58 AM, souvienstoidemoublier wrote:

        > Maybe I am wrong, but someone once told me that there are these
        > bugs where
        > the female would eat the male after they copulated. In the course of
        > evolution, the males learned to find insect carcasses. They would
        > give
        > the female the insect carcass to play with during copulation, and then
        > split and find another female to take a carcasss to and copulate with.
        >
        > Now, to me, in Republican politics, the copulation is lower taxes /
        > less
        > regulation of business / more governmental contracts for your friends.
        > The insect carcass is the so-called social agenda. People like
        > Bush don't
        > really care that much about the social agenda, but it sort of helps
        > that
        > get laid with impunity.
        >
        > So when I think of Republicans, I tend to visualize two insects
        > copulating
        > and the one in front in a state of temporary fascination, playing
        > with a
        > dead insect carcass.
        >
        > Anyways, it works for me.

        Hal ". . . the old is too old and the new is too old."
        --Gertrude Stein

        Halvard Johnson
        email: halvard@...
        halvard@...