Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] George Bush again

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 8, 2005
      The churches have a hard time defining themselves and defining what Jesus
      thought, just as scholars have a hard time defining what Shakespeare was
      "saying."

      The liberal and Marxist left believe that Jesus cared a lot about the poor.
      The conservatives and the right think that Jesus said that the poor will
      always be with us, or even that they are not among the elect, so screw them.

      You can find theologians who will back up just about any position you want
      to try and reinforce.

      Some are more persuasive than others. I guess that for me I like the
      position that you should help people help themselves. Teach a man to fish
      rather than tossing him a fish.

      In Lutheran conservative circles the idea is that you have to take care of
      your family and your congregation first.

      It is really hard to help another person. If any of you have a friend who's
      in bad shape -- addicted to drugs or alcohol or peep shows or whatever and
      are not connecting in a normal way to the rest of the society then you know
      how hard it is to help that person. Almost it's impossible and anything you
      can do might even make them crazier.

      How much harder it is to help someone you don't even know. They have to
      turn themselves around and begin to see the light. Some few manage to do
      this. The social work people don't do it.

      In emergency cases such as the floods of late the idea of just keeping
      people alive is probably ok. But in terms of the day to day business of
      living people have to do it for themselves or else they get fatter and
      stupider every day and even more of a burden. I don't know. I have a
      brother who is in bad shape. I have three brothers and two are fine. But
      this one, who happens to be my favorite, is a drunk. He can't stay off the
      sauce and he keeps getting fired. He also gets angry easily and gets into
      fights. I'm always expecting to go to his funeral every time the phone
      rings late at night.

      I have no idea what to do for him. I send him letters. He's clever and he
      sends funny letters back.
      I have him make drawings for several of my publications. It doesn't really
      help him.

      I sometimes wonder if people just imagine that they are helping others.
      It's hard to actually help another person. Maybe it's actually impossible.
      The only way to know is to know an intractable case. Was it possible to
      really help Corso out of his lifestyle?

    • Halvard Johnson
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 14, 2005
        This is a nice take, but I think that when E. B. White was doing the
        column fillers for The New Yorker he would have headed this
        with "Block That Metaphor!"

        On Oct 14, 2005, at 6:58 AM, souvienstoidemoublier wrote:

        > Maybe I am wrong, but someone once told me that there are these
        > bugs where
        > the female would eat the male after they copulated. In the course of
        > evolution, the males learned to find insect carcasses. They would
        > give
        > the female the insect carcass to play with during copulation, and then
        > split and find another female to take a carcasss to and copulate with.
        >
        > Now, to me, in Republican politics, the copulation is lower taxes /
        > less
        > regulation of business / more governmental contracts for your friends.
        > The insect carcass is the so-called social agenda. People like
        > Bush don't
        > really care that much about the social agenda, but it sort of helps
        > that
        > get laid with impunity.
        >
        > So when I think of Republicans, I tend to visualize two insects
        > copulating
        > and the one in front in a state of temporary fascination, playing
        > with a
        > dead insect carcass.
        >
        > Anyways, it works for me.

        Hal ". . . the old is too old and the new is too old."
        --Gertrude Stein

        Halvard Johnson
        email: halvard@...
        halvard@...