Saint George and the Red Crosse Knight

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2005
      Today is the feast of St George, the patron saint of England. St.
      George is the Knight of the Red Crosse in the first book of Edmund
      Spenser's Fairie Qveene. Armed with Jung and Kinsey, I wrote about
      Spenser in college. Spenser in the Oxford Standard Authors edition has
      painfully small type, but I recently bought a Penguin edition of Fairie
      Qveene more appropriate for my fading eyesight. It's the first long
      classic poem I've read since Byron's Don Juan. "Once more unto the
      breach, dear friends, once more, Or close the wall up with our English
      dead," says Shakespeare's Henry V:

      I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
      Straining upon the start. The game's afoot.
      Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
      Cry "God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"