RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] By George!

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
      According to a report in the New York Times a year and a half ago, Bush has
      an IQ of about 130. Kerry's IQ was only 120. So Bush has ten points on
      Kerry.

      And I think that might be the top Democrat. Dean must have been barely
      sentient -- somewhere around 90 -- able to feed himself but not much more.

      If you listen to the other side of this story -- and I honestly don't know
      who's correct -- the right is arguing that the Democratic mayor and governor
      screwed this up. Bush allowed this to be a federal disaster area pending
      the approval of the governor. He also allowed 1.9 billion to Louisiana for
      federal works projects in that state last year (more than any other state).
      But Louisiana spent it on other things.

      I think the facts we will be getting will be highly dependent on the
      partisan nature of sources and agendas. Many Americans on the left see Bush
      as simply evil. I even have many friends who think that Bush is worse than
      Hitler, and that he even engineered the WTC attack in order to bolster his
      flagging popularity.

      My mind reels. I like to tease the left (I was always anarchist and never a
      communist) when they say things like let's raise the taxes (this was Ron
      Silliman's prescription). At this point I'm just glad that there are still
      two parties of elites that attack each other, as between the two there is
      occasionally some small possibility of truthfulness. What I fear most is a
      one-party state. Each party seems to want that, but it's the last thing on
      earth I want. I prefer the Finnish model -- where there are 50 parties and
      they have a parliamentary system where you get seats proportionate to your
      representation instead of a winner take all model. I'd like to see Owl
      Parties, and Lutheran Surrealists, and Green Anarchists, and Calvinist
      Creeps, and Feminist Fatsos, and other parties in all their unadulterated
      glory, squeaking their madness in the rotunda, instead of these supposedly
      objective senators and presidents from the Skull & Bones club pretending to
      speak for all Americans.

      -- Kirby

      >From: mandreox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Unmuzzled Ox] New Orleans as Lake George
      >Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:05:16 -0000
      >
      >Theodicy is the vindication of God's goodness in the face of evil. I
      >prefer His saints to God Himself. The French founded New Orleans on
      >high ground; the French Quarter thus survived the flood. Fly from
      >Australia writes that her cousins survived the NOLA disaster. That's
      >good. Tout est au mieux, says Pangloss in Candide, quoting Leibniz;
      >all is for the best. Sometimes optimism becomes feckless. Flood
      >control in the US is a federal responsibility, and, as I understand
      >it, the Army Corps of Engineers wanted $40 million for the levees of
      >New Orlans last year. Bush gave them half. He also sent the Louisiana
      >National Guard to Irag. Thus, there were no first responders to
      >Katrina. The NOLA police, unequipped for such a disaster, cracked.
      >Voltaire pointed his finger at Leibniz after the Lisbon Earthquake. I
      >would point my finger at Bush, but why bother? He's just a dope.
      >
      >--- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>
      >wrote:
      > > Does the whole of New Orleans need to be torn down and rebuilt due
      >to the
      > > water damage?
      > >

      > > >From: rutertoot@a...
      > > >To: unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] New Orleans Paradox
      > > >Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:08:07 EDT
      > > >
      > > >An old neighborhood friend who had moved to New Orleans escaped
      >the flood
      > > >in
      > > >the back of a pick-up truck. He ended up in Memphis, then
      >Chicago, and is
      > > >now
      > > >headed to New York. "Do you need a place to stay?" I asked and
      >indeed he
      > > >does.

    • Halvard Johnson
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
        On Sep 9, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Kirby Olson wrote:

        > I think the facts we will be getting will be highly dependent on the
        > partisan nature of sources and agendas. Many Americans on the left
        > see Bush
        > as simply evil. I even have many friends who think that Bush is worse
        > than
        > Hitler, and that he even engineered the WTC attack in order to bolster
        > his
        > flagging popularity.

        Well, whether GWB engineered it or not, he certainly
        benefitted from it--if only because 9/11 prevented
        the Enron collapse from becoming the scandal that
        swept him and his buddies away.

        Hal "We fought a war on poverty,
        and poverty won."
        --Pres. Ronald Reagan

        Halvard Johnson
        ================
        email: halvard@...
        halvard@...
        website: http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
        blogs: http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
        http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
      • Kirby Olson
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
          Packing agencies with your backers and exaggerating your record are
          standards in politics.

          I'm sure the whole of Louisiana is packed with backers of whoever's
          whatever.

          It's fun to switch channels.

          If you listen to Fox News, you get a totally different perspective from CNN.

          MSNBC has a few conservatives now and then, too.

          Of course they are going to try and exonerate Bush. Just as the liberals
          are of course going to try and use this as the one final head chop for Bush
          and his gang.

          All you have to do is flick around to the different news channels and admire
          how objective they all are. There are about 10 news channels in my cable
          package and every one has their own slant. Then of course there's the
          blogosphere. If you look up something like "busses in New Orleans" you can
          come up with thousands of conservative blowhards to match the thousands of
          liberal blowhards whose taglines might be something like "Katrina" and
          "Bush's fault"

          It's fun to flip around and see the different angles. Thank heavens there
          are at least two in this diverse and open society.

          Instead of lamenting that "God" whacked New Orleans, the conservatives will
          instead argue things like, it's amazing that God kept that silly city out of
          harm's way so long.

          You really have to approach this with a sort of diffident sense of humor.
          Because you can't change anybody else's mind no matter what you say. We're
          all too polarized at this point. Are there are any independents left who
          haven't totally made up their mind without the facts at all whose fault it
          was? Once you've mad eup your mind, you start to find facts that fit.
          That's all that's happening now. Nothing else CAN happen. It's ideological
          gridlock, with the left slowly but inexorably giving way. All they need to
          do is nominate Hillary and it's over. Unless the right picks someone who is
          too far that way. Jeb vs. Hillary would be a blow-out.

          My favorite showdown would be Condi vs. Hillary. The right would lose
          because Condi is black, but it would cause a thousand gaffes of political
          incorrectness on every side, and the whole country would end up offended. I
          would enjoy this immensely.

          -- Kirby

        • Kirby Olson
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 9, 2005
            People just argue from what they perceive to be their advantage. I think
            the law term is special pleading. At least that's the term in rhetoric.
            Nobody cares about the actual fairness or objectivity of their facts. If
            the Republicans were to run Condi and the Demos were to run some white man
            from the south, you can bet they would begin to say, well, we shouldn't
            think about race or gender, we should instead think about character, etc.
            etc. It's just whatever will win at any given moment, and get you your way.

            I do think that fairness matters, but I don't think that anybody in national
            politics can afford to be idealistic. Idealism is for losers at that level.
          • ellen 'windy' lytle
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
              i think you may have bushes' numbers mixed up; i'm sure they're 013- thedge
> [...]
              > >Australia writes that her cousins survived the NOLA disaster. That's
              > >good. Tout est au mieux, says Pangloss in Candide, quoting Leibniz;
              > >all is for the best. Sometimes optimism becomes feckless. Flood
              > >control in the US is a federal responsibility, and, as I understand
              > >it, the Army Corps of Engineers wanted $40 million for the levees of
              > >New Orlans last year. Bush gave them half. He also sent the Louisiana
              > >National Guard to Irag. Thus, there were no first responders to
              > >Katrina. The NOLA police, unequipped for such a disaster, cracked.
              > >Voltaire pointed his finger at Leibniz after the Lisbon Earthquake. I
              > >would point my finger at Bush, but why bother? He's just a dope.
              > >
              > >--- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>
              > >wrote:
              > > > Does the whole of New Orleans need to be torn down and rebuilt due

            • ellen 'windy' lytle
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                and kirby....one can see blatantly how you don't follow idealism in any
                manner but even a nihilist melts somewhat in the face of floods wiping out
                humans, animals, and everyone's books, papers, photographs and artwork- at
                least fire makes a clean sweep of stuff and i love ash, but water rots and
                leaves the debris behind for a whole world to deal with....thedge...ok you
                asked for it politics and religion always manage to creeep into everything
                and dean's numbers are backwards too; more like 190....
> [...]
                > >Australia writes that her cousins survived the NOLA disaster. That's
                > >good. Tout est au mieux, says Pangloss in Candide, quoting Leibniz;
                > >all is for the best. Sometimes optimism becomes feckless. Flood
                > >control in the US is a federal responsibility, and, as I understand
                > >it, the Army Corps of Engineers wanted $40 million for the levees of
                > >New Orlans last year. Bush gave them half. He also sent the Louisiana
                > >National Guard to Irag. Thus, there were no first responders to
                > >Katrina. The NOLA police, unequipped for such a disaster, cracked.
                > >Voltaire pointed his finger at Leibniz after the Lisbon Earthquake. I
                > >would point my finger at Bush, but why bother? He's just a dope.
                > >
                > >--- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>
                > >wrote:
                > > > Does the whole of New Orleans need to be torn down and rebuilt due

              • Kirby Olson
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                  His character is impetuous (he's no Hamlet like Kerry) but the brain is
                  fundamentally quick and sound. I'll try to find the link for you to his IQ
                  score.

                  -- Kirby

                • Kirby Olson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                    http://www.vdare.com/sailer/kerry_iq_lower.htm

                    There have been a number of these studies published. The one I originally
                    read was in the NY Times but you have to do some kind of annoying giving up
                    of all information in order to enter the Times' archives.

                    At any rate, for what it's worth. The guy does have a brain, he just has
                    different principles than most of the blue state folks. I offer this merely
                    in favor of the intellectual diversity that everybody seems to think is such
                    an important thing right now.
                  • Kirby Olson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                      I'm an inverted idealist. But I am sorry for the artists and people who
                      lost their books.

                      I read twenty years ago that this would happen to New Orleans. They
                      diverted the Mississippi to make the city where it is. Colossal hubris to
                      move a whole river. The rivers don't like being shoved around, and finally
                      they shove back. The river god is demonic that way.

                      Do people really believe in IQ scores?

                      I read the Steven Jay Gould book against them as being bound up in cultural
                      specificities. But then they make their way back now and then irregardless
                      it seems.

                      I do believe in idealism, but only if it's grounded in realism.

                      Now they're going to rebuild the city at the cost of 50 billion dollars,
                      only to have it flood again in ten years. It's funny.

                      I like the early jazz of New Orleans. I found myself humming a lot of it,
                      and wishing I could play boogie woogie piano. I like the way those bass
                      rhythms roll.

                      Has everybody heard Professor Longhair?

                      The Wild Tchopitoulas? (This one is a faux-Indian band that the Neville
                      brothers are in, and behind -- very good lead singer whose name I can't
                      recall -- hot !). Now the death estimates are lowered from 10,000 to about
                      two hundred I hear.

                      -- Kirby
                    • rutertoot@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                        My 'roomate' at Fire Island lived in New Orleans during the winter. She
                        always plays her jazz favorites from NOLA during and after dinner.
                        When I imagine my home being flooded, I wonder what I'd miss most. I'd be
                        sorry to lose my diaries and my old stuffed animals.
                      • ellen 'windy' lytle
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                          god, i so don' t believe in iq tests or any tests predominantly but of
                          course bush is smart; clever as can be but a pathological liar is usually
                          quite cunning....thedge
                          > His character is impetuous (he's no Hamlet like Kerry) but the brain is
                          > fundamentally quick and sound. I'll try to find the link for you to his
                          IQ
                          > score.
                          >
                          > -- Kirby
                          >

                          > >From: "ellen 'windy' lytle" <thedgey@...>
                          > >To: <unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] By George!
                          > >Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:55:39 -0500
                          > >
                          > >i think you may have bushes' numbers mixed up; i'm sure they're 013-
                          thedge

                        • ellen 'windy' lytle
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                            really? two hundred is miniscule compared w/10,000 - are you sure?- maybe
                            now a week plus later we can finally find some the innocent animals who
                            didn't ask to be there in the first place...thedge
                            > I'm an inverted idealist. But I am sorry for the artists and people who
                            > lost their books.
                            >
                            > I read twenty years ago that this would happen to New Orleans. They
                            > diverted the Mississippi to make the city where it is. Colossal hubris to
                            > move a whole river. The rivers don't like being shoved around, and
                            finally
                            > they shove back. The river god is demonic that way.
                            >
                            > Do people really believe in IQ scores?
                            >
                            > I read the Steven Jay Gould book against them as being bound up in
                            cultural
                            > specificities. But then they make their way back now and then
                            irregardless
                            > it seems.
                            >
                            > I do believe in idealism, but only if it's grounded in realism.
                            >
                            > Now they're going to rebuild the city at the cost of 50 billion dollars,
                            > only to have it flood again in ten years. It's funny.
                            >
                            > I like the early jazz of New Orleans. I found myself humming a lot of it,
                            > and wishing I could play boogie woogie piano. I like the way those bass
                            > rhythms roll.
                            >
                            > Has everybody heard Professor Longhair?
                            >
                            > The Wild Tchopitoulas? (This one is a faux-Indian band that the Neville
                            > brothers are in, and behind -- very good lead singer whose name I can't
                            > recall -- hot !). Now the death estimates are lowered from 10,000 to
                            about
                            > two hundred I hear.
                            >
                            > -- Kirby
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • souvienstoidemoublier
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                              Maybe it's time for a change. Maybe too many people have died.

                              wrote:
                              > Packing agencies with your backers and exaggerating your record are
                              > standards in politics.

                            • souvienstoidemoublier
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                                I know of who you speak and have a Tipitina's t-shirt.

                                wrote:
                                > I'm an inverted idealist. But I am sorry for the artists and people
                                who
                                > lost their books.
                                >
                                > I read twenty years ago that this would happen to New Orleans. They
                                > diverted the Mississippi to make the city where it is. Colossal
                                hubris to
                                > move a whole river. The rivers don't like being shoved around, and
                                finally
                                > they shove back. The river god is demonic that way.
                                >
                                > Do people really believe in IQ scores?
                                >
                                > I read the Steven Jay Gould book against them as being bound up in
                                cultural
                                > specificities. But then they make their way back now and then
                                irregardless
                                > it seems.
                                >
                                > I do believe in idealism, but only if it's grounded in realism.
                                >
                                > Now they're going to rebuild the city at the cost of 50 billion
                                dollars,
                                > only to have it flood again in ten years. It's funny.
                                >
                                > I like the early jazz of New Orleans. I found myself humming a lot
                                of it,
                                > and wishing I could play boogie woogie piano. I like the way those
                                bass
                                > rhythms roll.
                                >
                                > Has everybody heard Professor Longhair?
                                >
                                > The Wild Tchopitoulas? (This one is a faux-Indian band that the
                                Neville
                                > brothers are in, and behind -- very good lead singer whose name I
                                can't
                                > recall -- hot !). Now the death estimates are lowered from 10,000
                                to about
                                > two hundred I hear.
                                >
                                > -- Kirby
                              • souvienstoidemoublier
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                                  I just wanna check on something, is everybody opposed to the flooding?
                                  Any in favor?

                                  ..> wrote:
                                  > really? two hundred is miniscule compared w/10,000 - are you sure?-
                                  maybe
                                  > now a week plus later we can finally find some the innocent animals
                                  who
                                  > didn't ask to be there in the first place...thedge

                                • Kirby Olson
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                                    It's still not clear. They have to get the city completely drained and find
                                    out what's on the bottom.
                                    But I think that usually dead people float, as they bloat up, and then bob
                                    on the water's surface. so I think we have them unless they were trapped in
                                    an attic.

                                    The original estimate was three months to drain the city. Now it's one
                                    month tops.

                                    So we'll soon have the actual figures.

                                    I suppose that all of the historic structures will be undermined, and have
                                    to be razed and rebuilt? I was only there one time. I liked the beautiful
                                    architecture but there was a sinister air in the French quarter. I felt
                                    like I was being followed a lot of the time. In fact, I was. Some muggers
                                    followed me out of the French quarter but I knew I could race them to my
                                    hotel and did.

                                    -- K.

                                    >From: "ellen 'windy' lytle" <thedgey@...>
                                    >To: <unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com>
                                    >Subject: Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Nagin's Lake
                                    >Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:15:15 -0500
                                    >
                                    >really? two hundred is miniscule compared w/10,000 - are you sure?- maybe
                                    >now a week plus later we can finally find some the innocent animals who
                                    >didn't ask to be there in the first place...thedge

                                  • Kirby Olson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 10, 2005
                                      We'll need some good engineers.

                                      Then we'll need some good new entrepreneurs to bring the city back to life
                                      with cash influx and sensible ideas.

                                      I always liked the idea of Raymond Aron's that a country can live without
                                      its artists, but it can't live for one day without its entrepreneurs.

                                      But I'd rather listen to Longhair at Tipitina's. (Wasn't it a bar?)

                                      If it's in the French quarter, then it's intact. That area survived, I
                                      think.
                                    • souvienstoidemoublier
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
                                        Tipitina's is named after the Professor Longhair song, I don't believe
                                        he ever played there . . . I could check on it, I have a number of
                                        books on New Orleans rhythm and blues, blues, soul, and pop . . . I
                                        think it is outside the French Quarter a good bit [the French Quarter
                                        is just a small part, there are a lot of places like the Commander's
                                        Palace and Dookie Chase that are outside, if I remember right, like
                                        Commander's Palace is, I think in the Garden District, Dookie Chase
                                        across from some HUGE projects], I have been there, only it was about
                                        18 years ago, the Sheila Ryan Lottery weekend when there was a 54
                                        Million Dollar jackpot in the Florida Lottery. I went to see Clapton
                                        on the Chronicles tour with Mark Knopfler and Buckwheat Zydeco at the
                                        Superdome the night before and went to Zachary Richard at Tipitina's on
                                        Saturday night . . . I had five numbers of the six, and two related
                                        tickets, I won $2,727 total, and if I had had a 27 on my ticket, I
                                        would have won 27 million dollars. I took this as a sign that I should
                                        start playing 27, but this was a mistake . . .

                                        wrote:

                                        > We'll need some good engineers.
                                        >
                                        > Then we'll need some good new entrepreneurs to bring the city back to
                                        life
                                        > with cash influx and sensible ideas.
                                        >
                                        > I always liked the idea of Raymond Aron's that a country can live
                                        without
                                        > its artists, but it can't live for one day without its entrepreneurs.
                                        >
                                        > But I'd rather listen to Longhair at Tipitina's. (Wasn't it a bar?)
                                        >
                                        > If it's in the French quarter, then it's intact. That area survived,
                                        > think.
                                      • souvienstoidemoublier
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 11, 2005
                                          Here is where Tipitina's is, it is pretty far from the French
                                          Quarter,

                                          http://tinyurl.com/d4buc

                                          --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, souvienstoidemoublier