Ted Joans Lives

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2003
      Ted Joans has died. He wrote "I, Black Surrealist" for Unmuzzled OX
      22. In Paris he was a friend of Andre Breton and the late Charles
      Henri Ford, who guest-edited Unmuzzled OX 22. I saw Ted a number of
      times in New York and he invariably said he lived in Timbucktoo. He
      died in Vancouver. When his friend Charlie Parker died, Ted took to
      scrawling "Bird Lives" in chalk on the streets. It became a fad. He
      was a Black beat like Baraka. Ted wanted to set up a relation with
      Unmuzzled OX like that of Gregory Corso; but there was a market for
      signed editions of Gregory's work, and I don't think there ever was
      for Ted's. Anyway, one Gregory in my life was certainly enough.
      Ted's widow asks that people who know his work find some chalk and
      write somewhere Ted Joans Lives.