Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Macrobiotic Cuisine

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
      I wonder what that whole diet thing was about. Everything as bland as
      possible. Then the uprising in the early 70s with the first health food
      stores, tofu, it even came to the smaller towns. Now in the tiny villages
      of the Catskills with 3 thousand people per hamlet almost every one has a
      thriving health food store. Weird cheeses, goat yogurt, lots of whole
      grains in bulk, wooden toys for kids, you name it. There's no Velveeta. I
      wonder if the Velveeta numbers are way down since the 60s.

      -- K.

      http://search.msn.com/
    • souvienstoidemoublier
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
        You may have electron buildup on the interior of your monitor which may
        keep the images from being as crisp and clear as they can be, if you go
        here, some of that buildup can be removed:

        http://www.legrady.hu/sc.html

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Halvard Johnson <halvard@e...>
        wrote:
        > Chuckie's an amiable host, and I'm sure he
        > enjoyed seeing you.
        >
        > Hal
        >
        > On Aug 3, 2005, at 9:52 AM, rutertoot@a... wrote:
        >
        > > Halvard, I went to your website and enjoyed seeing your cat.

      • souvienstoidemoublier
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
          I think you are referring to Velveeta, named after a character in a
          Tarantino film. It is good for things where you need to melt cheese,
          like on Nachos, and I think they now have Velveeta with jalapeno
          imbedded in it.

          Velveeta is soft and would not make good bricks to defend yourself
          against the Big Bad Wolf.

          --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, rutertoot@a... wrote:
          > As a kid. we had long boxes of cheese from Kraft (?) My mother would
          save
          > the sturdy cardboard boxes to store things. We never used garlic.
        • souvienstoidemoublier
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
            How about CheezWhiz and spraycan cheese . . .

            I wonder if someone in Martha Stewart's yoga group ratted her out.
            Those yoga people are a pretty tight circle, but maybe she was doing
            yoga in a group with Sammy the Tofu Bull Gravano.

            --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>

          • rutertoot@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
              I went on a camping trip with a guy I knew in high school. He was excited
              about his spray cheese. We spent most of the trip in the screen room because of
              the bugs. It felt odd to be claustrophobic in that way.
            • rutertoot@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
                I don't think it was Velveeta because I remember that's what other people
                ate. I was very brand oriented as a kid. (It must've been Kraft cheese now that
                I reflect on it's logo) . . . I was devoted to Peter Pan peanut butter. Was
                it Northern toilet paper that had images of sweet girls they sold as posters
                that we hung up on our wall?
              • Kirby Olson
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Celine did his thesis in medical school on Sammelweis.

                  In the 1800's in Vienna, this doctor noticed nobody delivering babies - in
                  the
                  poor women's hospital where he worked - washed their hands. Huge numbers
                  of babies were dying. He had them wash their hands and the babies survived
                  at a much higher rate.

                  The doctors in time got tired of washing their hands and stopped doing it.
                  Then
                  the babies started dying again.

                  Sammelweis went crazy and died.

                • ellen 'windy' lytle
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 21, 2005
                    sounds just like my house- god, thanks for the memory of those long boxes of
                    'american' cheese or was it velveeta? anyway we never ever used garlic
                    either- elle