Hidden City

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
      I go back and forth to Manhattan but Unmuzzled OX and my things at 105 Hudson are such a mess that I get lost in it. I go to the gym for my shower. I eat. I move shit around the basement and go to Staples and the Container Store for supplies. But I have yet to see a single friend, visit a gallery or museum, view a movie or play. In New York I'm a ghost or maybe a memory.

      Meanwhile I go to press conferences in Philly, have lunch at obscure but old Pennsylvania colleges with friends of friends, write verse, and gawk.

      B U L L E T I N!! -- A PRESS CONFERENCE MARCH 23 ANNOUNCING HIDDEN CITY, A FESTIVAL OF PERFORMANCE ART, WAS HELD AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE. THAT'S RIGHT; PHILLY HAS A MET! IT WAS CLOSED 40 YEARS AGO, BUT THE RUIN IS MAGNIFICENT. THE GROUND FLOOR FUNCTIONS AS A CHURCH. NINE OTHER VENUES ARE SIMILARLY UNDERKNOWN OR FORGOTTEN. THEY'RE HIDDEN! THE FESTIVAL WILL BE ROLLING IN JUNE.

      http://www.hiddencityphila.org/

      The art scene is trickier to get to know than I anticipated. The live theatre, on the other hand, is right outside my door. I've seen plays and operas; I've seen movies at the three hip Ritzes and at an astoundingly gigantic multiplex: 30 effing movies for the price of one, basically. An order of popcorn could feed Zambia for a year. Have you eaten a whiz cheesesteak? The citizens of Philadelphia may be the fattest in the USA. (I was wrong about the Bronx.)

      Philadelphians also love their sports. Seen any Ranger games lately? The mob in South Philly is more than a memory.
    • Bookmarc7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
        Hey Michael--
        How do you know about the mob? I just finished an enjoyable crime novel
        called "Lady Killer" by Lisa Scottoline, who is a Philadelphian and it's about
        the South Philly mob scene. Funny and well-written. (She's not Lord Byron,
        but how many of us are?) She has about a dozen others and also writes for the
        Enquirer.
        Sorry NYC isn't doing it for you . Glad to hear you seem to like Philly.
        We just spent a few days in the Poconos, up in East Stroudsburg----pleasant
        area but off-off season so everything was dead.
        I'd like to visit Philly again at some point. I'll give you advance
        notice (so you can either get together with me or get outa town).
        How's facebook working out? should I join? Do you compromise your
        privacy by being on it? Do you care?
        Marc

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 26, 2009
          One mobster blew up another mobster's house. I talked to an Italian woman who lived around the corner; she found it terrifying and, it seemed to me, thrilling. Organized crime imposes a certain order. A prostitute in an obvious brothel talked to me about growing up Italian in South Philly. She was surprised that I knew a prostitute socially in New York who wasn't Italian. St Mary Magdalen de Pazzi is an Italian parish which would not baptize a child unless both its parents were Italian. I had never heard of such a thing. And wasn't Magdalen a prostitute? Food's great and the people are warm and friendly. They have welcomed an enormous Vietnamese population into their neighborhood. But the fans at a Flyers game in South Philly were the most violent I have ever seen.