Rikers

  • rutertoot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 19, 2005
      An express city bus to Riker's stops near Queensboro Plaza. Going over the
      bridge was quite pleasant, but the sight of razor wire is disturbing. You go
      through a screening before waiting for a bus that takes you to your inmate's
      specific area. One could get to this point before anyone would ask who you
      are visiting. At the next area, you wait in a big room after presenting a card
      and going through screening. The guards wander in and out. You can leave
      clothing and reading material for the inmate there. There are soda and snack
      machines. For some reason, toilet paper is left on the front desk, not in
      the restroom. Locks are available for lockers where you put all your stuff.
      When your inmate is called, you go through more screening and a pat-down.
      Then the dog comes by a sniffs everyone. Then you're told which number table to
      sit at. The tables and chairs are low and brightly colored. The inmate then
      shows up in a DOC (dept of correction) uniform with the crotch torn out.
      They're allowed to wear their own clothes (with restrictions). I imagine certain
      areas are different and perhaps higher security with visitors behind glass.
      I think the visit is about an hour. The couples tend to be affectionate and
      there seemed to be a lot of groping across the little tables. I saw one
      Orthodox Jewish young man visiting with his mother and an Indian couple, but
      otherwise most of the inmates and visitors were black or hispanic. My friend is
      Irish. I'm not sure how violent it is inside. He hasn't complained about it,
      though he's glad to have a body builder type in the next bed who tells others
      to fuck off. After the visit, you get your stuff out of the locker, return the
      lock and wait for the bus to take you back to the area where the city bus
      stops. It feels odd to not go through any more screening. Many of the
      visitors light up cigarettes at the final bus stop. I was impressed with how the
      women get dressed up for their visits, and how well behaved their babies and
      children seem. The atmosphere at Riker's was somewhat friendly compared to the
      Vernon C. Bain facility off the Bronx where the guards were nasty and the
      signs confusing.
    • ellen 'windy' lytle
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 30 8:05 AM
        did you remove me or something because i haven't received any email from the
        gang for days- i kind of miss it- love, elle