40 MINUTES AND 33 SECONDS rewritten

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2008
      As Allen Ginsberg was known as the Beat poet, John Cage was the Silent
      composer. His most famous work is 4' 33" of Silence.

      I published a lot of Cage's writing. On the morning of 11 September
      2001, I had it all in the Kinko's on Reade Street, and was determined
      to make it into a book. But the building shook. I said to myself, "Gas
      explosion. Someone's been careless." I looked out the window. There
      were flames a couple blocks south. Damn careless! I resumed my work
      with greater care. Eventually there was another explosion. Parts of
      the World Trade Center bounced off the window. People outside were
      running. Only the cashier and I remained in Kinko's. "Oh my God," she
      said on her cell. "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."

      I danced the John Cage Waltz starting precisely at 3:00pm 26 April
      2008 at the southern foot of Trinity Place and then concluding north
      of there in the middle of James Street at 3:40.33pm. I walked silently
      past the site of the WTC. It was a mediation and a mourning. I mourn
      John Cage and my mother who died March 6 and the victims of 9/11 and
      the many more victims of miasmal America's horrible revenge.

      http://johncageshoes.blogspot.com/

      I walked to a waltz composed by Elodie Lauten. I entered St James
      Church at the last second.