Violent Spectacle

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2007
      Back in New York, for no particular reason, I saw 3:10 to Yuma
      yesterday. Thirty years ago I was in Peru this time in September. Peru
      was run by Russians. Che posters were everywhere. There were free
      Russian lessons at the University of Cuzco. There happened to be an
      International Conference of Third World Nations in Lima while I
      packing for my return to the U.S. Everybody seemed to speak English,
      and reside in New York; their next stop was the autumn opening of the
      United Nations. However, on our way back to New York, rightist tanks
      rolled in the streets of Lima, and the Russians abruptly departed.
      Today the mass media is echoing Bush's anti-Iran ploy. President
      Ahmadinejad is speaking this afternoon at my alma mater, Columbia
      University, and tomorrow at the U.N. The tabloids call him Mr Evil.
      First there was Osama, then there was Saddam, and now there's
      Ahmadinejad. Are the Republicans preparing us for more war? Like O.J.
      Simpson they'll eventually catch the guy who blew up the World Trade
      Center. Meanwhile the cowboys in 3:10 to Yuma sure kill a lot of people.