Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Mirror

  • James Beach
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
      commune=mirror.
      community+mirror=list-serve.

      Terrific (mock-)journal, thanks for sharing. Especially loved the bohemian irreverancy of Jeff's partying, which is considered so not cool anymore by "the management". Like, he's more apt to recieve a diagnosis of Addict or Alchy or Depressive than a nod from the Underground. The Beats-wannabes of today have come full circle, with even lowkey drug-use being eclipsed by the desire to show a social-climbing effort and a pretty face to the paparazzi. Another revolution in tow? Or are the kicks in the repression these days?

      One thing negative: I think you do a disservice to the Beatles by quoting Steve Miller Band in the same paragraph. (Unless SMB ripped off that line from someplace I need to hear about?) It felt a bit off.

      Is there more? Is Jeff a "problem" or a foil? If the former, is he Alpha- or Epsilon-?

      JB

      mandreox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      A piece of paper can get very messy. Revisions, as second thoughts,
      don't disappear unless you recopy. So here I am looking into a word
      processor and there I am looking back at me from the word processor.

      Yes, yes, let me look at Michael Andre. There he is at 3:00am. He's
      never looked older because, of course, this mirror only tells the
      truth. He's felt healthier.

      My mistakes make me angry. Mistake-prone--what's to be done?
      Mistake-supine--repent, lazy bastard!

      My plans present themselves as a series of problems requiring solutions.

      There is someone else in the mirror right now, Sandie. I am in her
      house. She's sleeping. We're in New Lebanon. Later today we're driving
      to Brandon. 2 June 2007

      *

      It is tomorrow, 3:00am again, except I'm back in New Lebanon having
      been in Brandon. And today Sandie and I drive separately to Manhattan.
      I wish Sandie and I had made out but we didn't; maybe I'm contagious,
      although whatever bug I've had seems to be fading. If we went to bed
      and she caught something from me, she'd hate me forever for sure
      probably. Who knows? Mirror, Mirror on the screen, who knows? Because
      Sandie's an uptown girl, she makes me feel downtown.

      How best to number my problems, those that can be solved? Alpha and
      Beta and Gamma and Delta? Gamma or Plan C? 3 June

      *

      And today I rise at 3:00am on Staten Island, remembering this mirror,
      the 3:00ams. Should I email this to Sandie thanking her for hospitality?

      I do.

      I'm so far downtown I'm on Staten Island. I'm 60; I've spent 40 years
      lost in thought. 4 June

      *

      Yesterday at 3:00am I stayed abed. Today I have a doctor's appointment
      at 11:00am. "Time keeps on slipping, slipping into the future." Forty
      years ago today the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper was released. 6 June

      *

      I need a day to regroup. There's nothing wrong with me, but my son had
      major back surgery a week ago yesterday. I'm back in Brandon, at Fran
      Bull's. Tomorrow I read at her Gallery-in-the-Field. 29 June

      *

      This piece was leading to this day, when I will read at Gallery in the
      Field with Jeff Wright, introduced by Patt Cavanaugh, hosted by Fran
      Bull.
      I'm staying with Jeff at Fran's, two charming and intelligent
      companions. 30 June

      *

      Vermont farms favor red. Fran lives in the Hillbarn Farm. We ate
      Thursday night in Provence in Brandon, Friday in Tillie and Marie's in
      Middlebury, and last night after the reading in the Waybury Inn in
      East Middlebury.

      Jeff acted up after the reading, ecole de Creeley & Dickey & Corso.
      There was a wedding in progress at the Inn and Jeff decided to crash
      it. I should have been embarrassed, but in fact it merely woke me up.

      Jeff positioned himself in our view, our post-reading party of seven,
      and then danced flamboyantly, madly. He was asked to leave. A little
      girl, mesmerized, pursued him. He ducked into the Inn, pickt up a
      teddy bear which he previously inappropriately fondled when we entered
      the Inn. The manager had said Jeff -- Put down the bear. The manager
      talks like a Law Enforcement Officer. She nows tells the waitress Jeff
      is -- Cut off. But Jeff merely returns to the wedding bearing the
      teddy bear, attempting to woo the little girl. This time the father, a
      huge bouncer, explodes from the wedding following Jeff. Jeff retreats
      nervously to our table. The bouncer marches in, enraged. He is
      threatening. The restaurant manager reappears and intervenes. Somehow
      blows are not delivered. "The nuance was weird," the father informs
      Jeff. Jeff is a little chastened.

      And so the first half of the year, as Pepys might say, ended. 1 July 2007

      *

      Today I will read again with Jeff. This time it will be in his
      neighborhood, at Mo Pritkin's House of Satisfaction on Avenue A. I
      haven't seen him since I dropped him off near a Ben & Jerry's
      Bookstore in Rutland. It's 3:00am. By the time the reading ends at
      6:00pm tonight, I'll probably be so tired I'll go home to bed. I'll
      miss the post-reading shenanigans. Darn. 22 July

      *

      By the time the reading began, I was too tired to put in a decent
      performance. It's 3:00am again and I sleep at the wrong time. Look at
      Michael Andre! I wish someone would invite me to a wedding. 24 July 2007.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
        I like Jeffrey Cyphers Wright's writing. I posted a piece on him in
        Wikipedia. I myself stopped teaching years ago, lost my radio program,
        and have become perhaps awkward on stage. Although I read if
        asked,I feel too much stage fright to enjoy it. Jeff, on the other
        hand, thrives on stage. He's a relaxed wonderful poetry performer.

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, James Beach <bergecafe2007@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > blows are not delivered. "The nuance was weird," the father informs
        > Jeff. Jeff is a little chastened.
        >
        > And so the first half of the year, as Pepys might say, ended. 1 July
        2007

        > *
        >
        > Today I will read again with Jeff. This time it will be in his
        > neighborhood, at Mo Pritkin's House of Satisfaction on Avenue A. I
        > haven't seen him since I dropped him off near a Ben & Jerry's
        > Bookstore in Rutland. It's 3:00am. By the time the reading ends at
        > 6:00pm tonight, I'll probably be so tired I'll go home to bed. I'll
        > miss the post-reading shenanigans. Darn. 22 July
        >
        > *
        >
        > By the time the reading began, I was too tired to put in a decent
        > performance. It's 3:00am again and I sleep at the wrong time. Look at
        > Michael Andre! I wish someone would invite me to a wedding. 24 July

      • James Beach
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2007
          Thanks, I'll check him out. Here's a question: Has he seen the journal you posted?

          My stage performances are limited, mostly, to the drama troupe in high school and a few readings here and there. My rendition of "Food for Thought" from ANTICS at the memorial for Carol Berge felt amateurish and awkward to me-- but several people came up afterward and bought the book, specifically, they said, because of my reading...

          Like you, I prefer to write and will read only when asked/required.

          In college I was required to read for a scriptwriting course, and so went with my cronies to the pub beforehand to "take the edge off". Legally drunk, I was still terrified (of reading, not of the content of the screenplay I wrote), and so dreaded the moment when my name was called. It seemed to take forever. I wanted to run. When my turn came, I stumbled through about 5 pages of script, barely looking up from the lectern. Bad idea, using drink as fortification. At least for me.

          A recent critique of a short story of mine mentioned that, while my work lended itself the spoken word, as fiction it needed a rewrite (too many "unwieldy sentences") and a reworking of the voice.
          But weren't novels at one time read aloud, to the illiterate masses, and/or acted out/performed? I wanted to ask.
          I kept quiet, grateful for the back-handed compliment.
          (You can review some of my work at www.myspace.com/blazinglitstar if you want to sign up. Also, I can send you a link to view without you needing to sign up-- just send a group or private email to this address.) Who knows, maybe someday I'll do a reading circuit. At this juncture, I doubt it. It's too much the epitomy of a performance, taking as much skill as anyone doing Shakespeare in the park.

          James

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007
            --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, James Beach <bergecafe2007@...> wrote:

            > Here's a question: Has [Jeff Wright] seen the journal you posted?

            Everyone mentioned in "Mirror", including Jeff, has seen it.
            --Michael Andre