Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Light Reading plus Sex

  • Halvard Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 15, 2007
      While you're in that vein, Michael, have you read
      Alice Denham's *Sleeping with Bad Boys* yet? You
      might find that "refreshing." It's even blurbed by
      David Markson, who's one of her "bad boys."

      Hal

      "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."
      --Noam Chomsky

      Halvard Johnson
      ================
      halvard@...
      halvard@...
      http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
      http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
      http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
      http://www.hamiltonstone.org

      Message 2 of 14 , May 15, 2007
        Was this the Alice who was once Playboy's playmate of the month? And
        does she live near Westbeth? Hannah Green and Jack Wesley introduced
        us, we four drank too much, and I used her bathroom. Her bathroom was
        wondrously decorated with pinups of naked men.

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Halvard Johnson <halvard@...> wrote:

        > While you're in that vein, Michael, have you read
        > Alice Denham's *Sleeping with Bad Boys* yet? You
        > might find that "refreshing." It's even blurbed by
        > David Markson, who's one of her "bad boys."
        >
        > Hal
        >
        > "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."
        > --Noam Chomsky
        >
        > Halvard Johnson
        > ================
        > halvard@...
        > halvard@...
        > http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
        > http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
        > http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
        > http://www.hamiltonstone.org
        >
        > On May 15, 2007, at 12:18 AM, mandreox wrote:
        >
        > > Edward Field's THE MAN WHO WOULD MARRY SUSAN SONTAG and Other Intimate
        > > Portraits of the Bohemian Era recalls the gay lit scene of 20 years
        > > ago. I kept waiting for Charles Henri Ford or Kirby Congdon but they
        > > never appear; there is Auden and Sontag and the Beats and Ira Cohen
        > > and Paul Bowles plus persons peripheral or forgotten.
        > >
        > > Diablo Cody's CANDY GIRL A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper
        > > amused and informed me. Her half-hearted uninteresting blog links to
        > > YouTube and her appearance on David Letterman.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Halvard Johnson
        Message 3 of 14 , May 15, 2007
          She's the one, and she lives just across from Sheridan Square.

          Hal

          Serving the tristate area.

          Halvard Johnson
          ================

          Message 4 of 14 , May 16, 2007
            We know the same Alice. I once induced Playboy to have one of their
            models pose for Unmuzzled OX. A Chicago poet and photographer clicked
            the photo. He reported that she resented posing for free but was doing
            it because, she was told, OX was connected to Andy Warhol. But doesn't
            your wife, Hal, sometimes write for Playboy?

          • Halvard Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2007
              Well, once, not sometimes.

              Hal

              "Those who cast the ballots decide nothing.
              Those who count the ballots decide everything."
              --Joseph Stalin

              Halvard Johnson
              ================

              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2007
                Alice had a friend who at one time wrote pornography for Maurice
                Girodias' Olympia Press. I read a later commercial novel called After
                Claude. In the beginning, the heroine breaks up with "Claude, the
                French prick." Then, with Claude dispatched, she discovers sex.

              • Mick Stephens
                Message 7 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                  After Claude was written by Iris Owens. She lived on Cornelia Street.
                  MGS

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 22, 2007
                    You use the past tense; -- is Iris still alive? I met Alice Denham and
                    Iris Owens in the late '70s. They're a bit older than me. I remain
                    both impressed and intimidated by their sexual daring.

                    --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Mick Stephens <mickstphns@...> wrote:

                    > After Claude was written by Iris Owens. She lived on Cornelia Street.
                    > MGS
                    >
                    > mandreox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > Alice had a friend who at one time wrote pornography for
                    Maurice
                    > Girodias' Olympia Press. I read a later commercial novel called After
                    > Claude. In the beginning, the heroine breaks up with "Claude, the
                    > French prick." Then, with Claude dispatched, she discovers sex.
                    >
                    > --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Halvard Johnson <halvard@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well, once, not sometimes.
                    > >
                    > > Hal
                    > >
                    > > "Those who cast the ballots decide nothing.
                    > > Those who count the ballots decide everything."
                    > > --Joseph Stalin
                    > >
                    > > Halvard Johnson
                    > > ================
                    > > halvard@
                    > > halvard@
                    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
                    > > http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
                    > > http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
                    > > http://www.hamiltonstone.org
                    > >

                    > > On May 17, 2007, at 1:21 AM, mandreox wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > We know the same Alice. I once induced Playboy to have one of their
                    > > > models pose for Unmuzzled OX. A Chicago poet and photographer
                    clicked
                    > > > the photo. He reported that she resented posing for free but was
                    doing
                    > > > it because, she was told, OX was connected to Andy Warhol. But
                    doesn't
                    > > > your wife, Hal, sometimes write for Playboy?
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Halvard Johnson <halvard@>

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mick Stephens
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 22, 2007
                      The last time I saw Iris was at the artist Myron Stout's studio/home in Provincetown in the early 1970s. At that time, Farrar Strauss had republished After Claude. I haven't seen or heard from her since then. I am using the past tense simply because all of those memories seem to be stored in a part of the brain that is labeled "The Past." I don't know if she is still alive. I'm in my early sixties, and I would imagine that she's in her seventies, so she could still be on Cornelia Street, for all I know. Sorry not to be of more help. Rudy Wurlitzer in Hudson, NY would know, as she was his friend. After Claude was a really good novel, as I recall. People write less honestly about sex today than they did thirty and forty years ago.
                      All best,
                      Doctor Mick

                    • James Beach
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2007
                        Sounds like a life, guys. Centerfolds who wrote smut, partyers with intellect... Those were the days?
                        About a decade ago, during a summer foray into the world of 1970s lib-lit, I read After Claude (and thought it would make a neat screenplay) as well as Diary of a Mad Housewife. Both paperback pulp, they nonetheless offered insight into that decade, during which everything began to deconstruct the man's world belief system and make way for a more equal playing field for both sexes. (Being an Xer, I was a child then, and so came into the world during the process which has now taken root and, good and bad, poses new issues and challenges for all of us, especially the young men.)
                        This decade-- as life often goes, unfolding from seeds sown-- I met and worked with Carol Berge (Acts of Love, 1973) a writer in the same vein as Iris et al, but with a decidedly poetic and intellectual bent. Why her rise was tempered deserves some thought/investigation. On her deadthbed she asked if I would write a memoir about my position with her as editor/proofreader. I said maybe, sure.
                        Now, still considering it, I would name it After Carol, an intellectual counterpoint to the sex-heaviness of lib-lit, chronicling how my writing style, and hence my life, has grown as a result of her influence and creative writing tutelage. (As per KYoung) Carol shyed away from using sex as a weapon to get ahead and relied instead on her ability to organize in a social setting, as well as her artistic talents, despite being very much sought after and quite easy in the bedroom. How avant-garde, in terms of what's happening societally in 2007.

                        As for the discourse on Olmsted (who I, being only a semester-visitor to NY in '92, never heard of) it's good to know who designed CP but yeah, misspellings occur every day. Especially to Carole/Berg/Berger/Berge sans accent! Even to me, a total unknown: the flyer that advertisied CB's memorial at the SFe Jewish Historical Society listed me as James Beech-- not that I mind, it was her show.

                        JB

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 9, 2007
                          Carol Berge probably knew Alice and Iris.

                          Carol could get into feuds and not know how to end them. It
                          circumscribed her literary life. It was her flaw. She got into a fight
                          with my friend Richard Morris; I was fortunately able to stay out of
                          it. Then, for a while, Carol was truly my most helpful friend -- until
                          suddenly one day she wasn't. I wasn't surprised. I am Richard Morris'
                          literary executor. When I first saw James' BergeCafe, I thought, ah!
                          Carol and I are finally going to reconcile. But in fact she had
                          reconciled with Richard.

                          --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, James Beach <bergecafe2007@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > Those who count the ballots decide everything."
                          > > --Joseph Stalin
                          > >
                          > > Halvard Johnson
                          > > ================
                          > > halvard@
                          > > halvard@
                          > > http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
                          > > http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
                          > > http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
                          > > http://www.hamiltonstone.org
                          > >

                          > > On May 17, 2007, at 1:21 AM, mandreox wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > We know the same Alice. I once induced Playboy to have one of their
                          > > > models pose for Unmuzzled OX. A Chicago poet and photographer
                          clicked
                          > > > the photo. He reported that she resented posing for free but was
                          doing
                          > > > it because, she was told, OX was connected to Andy Warhol. But
                          doesn't
                          > > > your wife, Hal, sometimes write for Playboy?

                        • James Beach
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 11, 2007
                            Few escaped Carol's shit-list, it seems. Yet her lavish devotion to those she admired (however briefly, or long-lasting) as well as her talents balanced the negatives in retrospect. The work she did to bring together the East Village poets during the 1960s can't be ignored, as her personality at that time must've been an asset to have gotten her photograph on front page newspaper articles as well as mention in dozens of historical books and documents of that time period; later on her work and personal media getting archived at several major universities proved her merit; being a board member of PEN, receiving NYSCA and NEA awards, and winning a pushcart for Center are all incredible and noteworthy accomplishments, not to be overshadowed by a prickly disposition.
                            Consider the Pollocks and Parkers and Lewises and Poes, who far outnumber the congenial artist types and will likely take up more space in history-- unless Tv-land swallows them whole! (But that's another debate.) Rather than reconcile, Carol preferred to give a just/fair return to whomever she believed had done her wrong. Often the feuds were started by mere astonishment at a perceived lack of education/breeding/grooming/smarts, rather than a desire to stir things up, it seems to me. Yet I didn't know her in her heyday.

                            Anyway, this is a big digression from "Light Reading plus Sex"; enough about Carol Berge and back to the subject-- playboy bunnies and article bylines, wasn't it? Say more about your wild nights and heady days during that decade of sociosexual promiscuity and unleashed freedoms... if you care to go into it.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 16, 2008
                              Juno, which I saw with my 17-year-old son, is fresh and amusing. Much
                              of the credit goes to the writer, Diablo Cody. I hemmed and hawed
                              before going because I had seen the star, Ellen Page, in Hardy Candy,
                              a film I think I detested -- I walked out half-way through.