Berrigan and Levertov

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 1:01 PM
      Auden and Ginsberg do not owe their rise to Homintern, as Auden called
      a shadowy international homosexual conspiracy. Dan and Denise embody
      Christian passivism. I've spent more time with Dan than Denise; I
      spent but a single day with her in Boston in 1971. Dan lives in a
      Jesuit community on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. One night I
      dropped by Dan's with Ellen Burstyn, the Oscar-winning actress. Nuns
      and brothers serve the Jesuits. I attended a Jesuit school in
      Kingston, Ontario, not far from Syracuse where Dan grew up; Dan knows
      one of my high school teachers from Syracuse. Dan has been on the
      cover of Time and nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and thus people
      at the Jesuit House recognized Ellen but were not surprised. Indeed
      two Jesuit movie buffs came over and praised Ellen's independent film
      Resurrection. And they incidentally forgave her for The Exorcist.

      Dan got along well with another OX contributor and Catholic poet, the
      late Senator Eugene McCarthy. Dan considers poetry a minor tool for
      good. Kenneth Rexroth discovered Denise; I associated Denise with
      Creeley and Olson at Black Mountain as well as Robert Duncan. Duncan
      could be a Homintern stalwart, and, like Ginsberg and Auden, wrote
      some memorable political poetry.