One expert's view of the late Professor Creeley

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2007
      I have been certified as an expert in the life and work of ten people:
      W.H. Auden, Daniel Berrigan, John Cage, Gregory Corso, Robert Creeley,
      James Dickey, Allen Ginsberg, Denise Levertov, Andy Warhol, and James
      Wright. The list is accidental. I wanted to interview Ezra Pound, for
      example, and discussed the matter on the phone with Olga Rudge; but,
      before I could fly to Italy, Pound died. I read every one of John
      Ashbery's publications many times, prepared questions for an
      interview, and had my tape recorder ready; but an hour before the
      interview was to begin, Ashbery phoned to cancel.

      Robert Creeley tried to write for a living. That writing, done in the
      Fifties and early Sixties, is generally admired and recognized. And
      the recognition led to prestigious teaching jobs. But talking about
      literature to adoring students can turn to neglect of the painful and
      difficult labor of serious creativity. It happens all the time.