Elodie Lauten's Orfreo

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2006
      Although I can't sing a note I've been involved with opera for 25
      years. I edited and published a libretto of Carlo Goldoni translated
      by W.H. Auden. The composer Elodie Lauten had set some of my poetry
      to music. Finally she asked me to write a libretto about a female
      Orpheus. I tried.

      Unfortunately the opera director Jason Buzas told me there had been
      over 200 operas written about Orpheus. Was Eurydice to be a man? A
      Lesbian? I tussled and tussled until I finally thought of Ray
      Johnson. Orpheus had invented music; Ray had invented "correspondance
      (sic) art." Ray was gay and had committed suicide in the Age of
      AIDS. I was working with Gregory Corso's Italianate spelling of
      Orpheus, Orfeo. One day I heard a new word : OrphRAYo. Orfeo plus
      Ray equals Orfreo.

      And so I wrote the libretto, with Elodie as dramaturge. It was
      produced by Elaine Comparone at Merkin Hall. And they made a film.
      And now the film's sound has been newly enhanced, and the film will
      be screened: 5:30-6:00pm Saturday November 4 at New York Studio
      Gallery 511 W. 25th Street, #607.

      Come and say hello.