Diane Shamash

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      I had locked myself out of my office at 105 Hudson and was sitting
      outside waiting for the super to let me reenter when one of the
      teenagers who live in the building told me that Diane Shamash had
      died. I was uncomprehending, disbelieving. I thought she was speaking
      metaphorically. I hadn't seen Diane in quite a while and thought she
      too was lamenting her disappearance.

      Ah but it was literally true. I thought Diane was off preparing a new
      delight and surprise for the entire city of New York. She ran Minetta
      Brook. Their office was for a time across the hall from mine. Minetta
      Brook brought New York Robert Smithson's Floating Island. It brought
      art movies to the piers and festivals to Beacon, New York.

      What a loss!