Michael wants me to post this.....

  • long_legged_fly
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2006
      I don't usually bother talking about such things, but...

      I was running for the bus the other day when I heard someone say, "run, you bitch". I
      wondered if this was being said by someone who was singing along to a song, someone who
      was talking to herself, or someone who was talking to me. I turned around and asked, "are
      you talking to me?". The girl was maybe 16 and wearing a backpack. She hesitated, as if
      surprised by the fact that I was addressing her, and then said, "yes, you don't belong here --
      things that have been said to me over the years). Then she hurried past me.

      It's usually silly schoolboys or men in pairs/groups/speeding cars or drunken homeless
      women who say these things to me. I was a too gobsmacked to say anything to this mere girl!
      No witty comments came to mind. Tongue broken, as Sappho would say.

      I decided to take the train instead.

      I asked a few friends including Michael for possible retorts, but I'm kinda over that now. I
      thought I'd simply post this here.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        I was 8-years-old when I saw my first black child. I had seen black
        college students from the Commonwealth; they were studying at
        Queen's; but all "adults" were weird, so why give them a second
        thought? But one weekend my father took me to the Sportsmens Show in
        Toronto, and I was astounded to see a black child. I kept circling,
        trying not to stare.

        New York, on the other hand, is all about race. When Fly was here I
        tried to get her to take me to one of TriBeCa's Vietnamese
        restaurants, but she thought that would be really too boring. My
        landlady on Staten Island is black, but she was born in Aruba. When I
        finally met her mother, I could at last place her wonderful accent.
        It's Dutch via the Islands plus Brooklyn.

        I don't wish to imply for a second that New York is a model of racial
        harmony. I prefer to observe clashes between females of our species,
        since they don't usually degenerate into violence. I suspect most
        Americans have encountered that new stereotype, the Chippy or
        Officious Black Woman. One Thanksgiving, my cousin and I were on our
        way to dinner at my uncle's in New Jersey. The train disgorged about
        300 white folks. At the top of the stairs, there was one Chippy
        Officious Black Woman. "People, people," she explained, "there's room
        for all." She then indicated that the white folks should take the
        right stairs and she would descend alone down the left stairs. Ahead
        of me was young woman with purple hair, a gossamer top and a Goth's
        worth of earrings. When Ms Goth was opposite Ms Officious, she
        addressed her with two words: "Ghetto trash."

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, long_legged_fly <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't usually bother talking about such things, but...
        >
        > I was running for the bus the other day when I heard someone
        say, "run, you bitch". I
        > wondered if this was being said by someone who was singing along to
        a song, someone who
        > was talking to herself, or someone who was talking to me. I turned
        around and asked, "are
        > you talking to me?". The girl was maybe 16 and wearing a backpack.
        She hesitated, as if
        > surprised by the fact that I was addressing her, and then
        said, "yes, you don't belong here --
        probably conflating the
        > things that have been said to me over the years). Then she hurried
        past me.

        > It's usually silly schoolboys or men in pairs/groups/speeding cars
        or drunken homeless
        > women who say these things to me. I was a too gobsmacked to say
        anything to this mere girl!
        > No witty comments came to mind. Tongue broken, as Sappho would say.
        >
        > I decided to take the train instead.
        >
        > I asked a few friends including Michael for possible retorts, but
        I'm kinda over that now. I
        > thought I'd simply post this here.

      • citychick1000
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
          Just curious, are you in Perth?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
            Also, in response to your not-quite-question, how about a simple "Fuck
            you"?

            ;)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
              Fly teaches college English in Perth, Australia. Her brother-in-law
              hails from Perth, Scotland; Fly's sister is a doctor in Edinburgh.
              They were married in Sidney, Australia. I saw the wedding photos;
              the women in the bride's party, as I recall, wore traditional
              Vietnamese gowns, but the men in the groom's party definitely wore
              kilts. Guys in skirts are a laugh. In high school I dated a girl from
              Perth, Ontario. Her favorite violent imprecation: Son of a Peach!
              Violent speech in small-town Ontario in 1964 was remarkably bland.
              You want to ask, was it better then?