Egg

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
      Visiting Florida in mid-March gave me a foretaste of spring. The rainy
      season down there is long past, and the Everglades are drying up; birds
      have to drink at alligator holes, and that's a tad dangerous. So they
      fly north. And here in the Northeast, the forsythia and daffodil are
      yellow and out, and you can see bugs crawling over this crop of
      flowers, and a few migrating birds are already here gobbling and
      singing and dreaming of a mate and a nest further north in Canada. The
      contract is renewed; as everybody knows, life goes on.
    • ellen lytle
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
        Why haven't I seen the daffodils or any yellow for that matter!!! Still the
        pale white color of today can only mean spring- also I never knew the birds
        fly north in spring because of lack of water... April is gorgeous in florida
        and since my family was from there I miss it- now my parents are in a
        cemetery in west palm near the intercoastal... Indeed life goes on ...

        On 3/28/06 9:08 AM, "mandreox" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Visiting Florida in mid-March gave me a foretaste of spring. The rainy
        > season down there is long past, and the Everglades are drying up; birds
        > have to drink at alligator holes, and that's a tad dangerous. So they
        > fly north. And here in the Northeast, the forsythia and daffodil are
        > yellow and out, and you can see bugs crawling over this crop of
        > flowers, and a few migrating birds are already here gobbling and
        > singing and dreaming of a mate and a nest further north in Canada. The
        > contract is renewed; as everybody knows, life goes on.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • souvienstoidemoublier
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
          I am trying to remember the movie or comedy short, it had someone a
          bit like Robert Benchley and a kid reciting, I believe,

          I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
          By William Wordsworth

          I wandered lonely as a cloud
          That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
          When all at once I saw a crowd,
          A host, of golden daffodils;
          Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
          Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

          Continuous as the stars that shine
          And twinkle on the Milky Way,
          They stretched in never-ending line
          Along the margin of a bay:
          Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
          Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

          The waves beside them danced; but they
          Outdid the sparkling waves in glee;
          A poet could not but be gay,
          In such a jocund company;
          I gazed-and gazed-but little thought
          What wealth the show to me had brought:

          For oft, when on my couch I lie
          In vacant or in pensive mood,
          They flash upon that inward eye
          When is the bliss of solitude;
          And then my heart with pleasure fills,
          And dances with the daffodils.

          [I am not sure if it was Benchley, it was someone I remember looking
          a bit like him . . . Benchley was in 84 movies, can you name them for
          extra credit? And for special extra credit, name the original title
          of Dorothy Parker's film "Agente 310 spionaggio sexy"]

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
            It's certainly exciting to see the first daffodils of spring, as
            Wordsworth wrote. This year they're out in Silver Lake Park on Staten
            Island. Olmstead, who designed many of North America's great parks,
            actually lived on Staten Island and designed Clove Lake Park which is
            contiguous with Silver Lake.

            When I was married to Erika Rothenberg we repeatedly visited the
            Everglades. One time late in spring a National Park Ranger took us to
            an alligator hole. The Everglades is a slow river and it had pretty
            much dried up except for this "pond" which the alligator had dug as a
            nest and where he welcomed visitors. Birds and other critters in the
            relative drought had congregated around the waterhole. I'm no
            naturalist, of course, but I thought, man, if I was a bird, I'd take
            the shortage of water and the alligator's shining teeth as a hint
            that I should fly north.

            Flying into Tampa earlier this month I saw what I thought was a
            forest fire. While visiting the Kennedy Space Center, I observed
            another forest fire, and inquired, and was told it was a "controlled
            burn." Florida's suffering a drought.

            The only forsythia bush I know is in Washington Market Park, a few
            blocks from Ellen's loft. I remember reading that forsythia was the
            first bush to flower in the spring but no one knew its function in
            the evolving year. I then inspected the Washington Market forsythia,
            saw that it had attracted many bugs, and concluded that it served to
            feed migrating birds.