altitude sickness

  • rutertoot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3 10:56 AM
      What happened to Erika when she had altitude sickness? I had something like
      that when in the Rockies a few years ago. My legs gave out on me after I
      drank Jameson.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5 4:00 AM
        Erika and I found Cuzco amazing. It had been the Incan capital. The
        stone architecture alone was dreamy and impossible; it was not
        rectilinear. But the guidebook said: when you arrive, rest; for the
        altitude is 14,000 feet. But we could not imagine rest and marched
        about, and Erika, a smoker, soon complained of headache and various
        other symptoms, and eventually took to her bed. The surefire cure for
        altitude sickness is lower altitude, so we took the tourist train to
        Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu was nothing much; it was discovered,
        mythologized, publicized and marketed by Hiram Bingham and the USA;
        but it cured Erika. I subsequently fell victim to Montezuma's
        Revenge; who knew Montezuma ruled the Inca?