Letter from Lori Berenson

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      Greetings from Cajamarca in northern Peru. Thank you for your
      continued interest and support.

      As another year comes to a close, one starts reflecting upon all that
      has happened and what's to come the following year. Reaching my tenth
      year anniversary in jail, I am happy to say that I've been able to
      witness the release of many prisoners, absolutions and the fulfilling
      of sentences. However, I've seen several disturbing cases in which
      the judges have not regarded things in a humane way, and politics have
      played quite a role in this, much more than innocence or guilt.

      Peru is entering into an electoral year. The April 2006 presidential
      elections could mean certain changes in my existence - the possible
      harshening of jail regulations or even the removal of prison
      benefits - as it may not. What will continue, sadly enough, whoever
      gets elected, is the increasing amount of dire poverty, lack of
      opportunities for the young, and a lot of unemployment. These
      things are inherent to the economic model that exists, whoever the
      head of state may be.

      Yet I continue to be optimistic about the future of our world and that
      is because I know we can, and will, make it different.

      My best to you in this holiday season and coming year.

      Lori Berenson
      December 2005
    • Halvard Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        For those of you doing something special last night (like watching
        "Crash"), herewith are my notes on Bush's State of the Union
        message:

        Ladies and gentlemen, blah, blah, blah. I . . . blah, blah, freedom,
        blah, blah. And blah before blah blah blah-blah. Renew the blah,
        blah Patriot Act blah, blah. Make blah blah tax-cuts permanent,
        blah blah. Save Social blah Security blah. [Smile.] Bipartisan
        blah solutions blah, blah.

        [applause]

        Open blah markets, people everywhere Buy American. American
        worker rah, blah. [applause] Secure borders, blah, guest worker
        program--no amnesty. Our government providing health care
        for poor and elderly, blah. Blah.

        Hey, where's that remote? Who changed the channel?

        Okay. Blah, blah, blah. Addicted to oil. Clean, safe nucular
        energy. Better batteries. Blah, blah. Ethanol for everyone
        within six years. Blah.

        Teach our kids math, blah, and science. Blah, blah. Creative
        minds supported. Tax credits for all. Blah. Innovation, yea!
        No behind left unchilded. Blah, blah, blah. Abstinence, rah.

        Yada, yada, yada. No declining, no unraveling. New
        Justices, rah! Servants of law. O'Conner, bye. Alito, hi!

        Be good. No clones, no making centaurs, buying embryos.
        Thanks and blah, blah -- God bless America. And blah pray for
        stronger levees.

        Hal

        Serving the tristate area.

        Halvard Johnson
        ================
        halvard@...
        http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
        http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
        http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
        http://www.hamiltonstone.org
      • ellen lytle
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          Tu shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ....except I can't stand to see his lying face or
          hear his lying words...so I'll totally take your word for his jive... Why oh
          why can't we arrest the beasts? - npr interviewed some college students who
          watched 'it' live and their comments were close to yours!!! thank heavens-
          also cindy sheehan was arrested for wearing a, 2400 death count of our
          soldiers so far, t-shirt - can you imagine- let anyone deny we are in a
          police state w/a dictator like president...they can't honestly- thedge

          On 2/1/06 8:11 AM, "Halvard Johnson" <halvard@...> wrote:

          > For those of you doing something special last night (like watching
          > "Crash"), herewith are my notes on Bush's State of the Union
          > message:
          >
          > Ladies and gentlemen, blah, blah, blah. I . . . blah, blah, freedom,
          > blah, blah. And blah before blah blah blah-blah. Renew the blah,
          > blah Patriot Act blah, blah. Make blah blah tax-cuts permanent,
          > blah blah. Save Social blah Security blah. [Smile.] Bipartisan
          > blah solutions blah, blah.
          >
          > [applause]
          >
          > Open blah markets, people everywhere Buy American. American
          > worker rah, blah. [applause] Secure borders, blah, guest worker
          > program--no amnesty. Our government providing health care
          > for poor and elderly, blah. Blah.
          >
          > Hey, where's that remote? Who changed the channel?
          >
          > Okay. Blah, blah, blah. Addicted to oil. Clean, safe nucular
          > energy. Better batteries. Blah, blah. Ethanol for everyone
          > within six years. Blah.
          >
          > Teach our kids math, blah, and science. Blah, blah. Creative
          > minds supported. Tax credits for all. Blah. Innovation, yea!
          > No behind left unchilded. Blah, blah, blah. Abstinence, rah.
          >
          > Yada, yada, yada. No declining, no unraveling. New
          > Justices, rah! Servants of law. O'Conner, bye. Alito, hi!
          >
          > Be good. No clones, no making centaurs, buying embryos.
          > Thanks and blah, blah -- God bless America. And blah pray for
          > stronger levees.
          >

          > Hal
          >
          > Serving the tristate area.
          >
          > Halvard Johnson
          > ================
          > halvard@...
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
          > http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
          > http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
          > http://www.hamiltonstone.org
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ellen lytle
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            I wondered about berenson for some time now so thanks for the update- she
            sounds ok, really- what spirirt though I wonder if she's actually working
            while incarcerated- thedge ps if anyone is interested there's a new film
            about alberto fugii moro (SP?) and I wonder if berenson is depicted and how
            much involvement fugii moro had w/her?

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              I myself wandered about Peru and Bolivia for a time, first with Erika
              Rothenberg, then alone. I felt it was a dangerous place. Lori
              Berenson took chances. She was involved with Leftist guerrillas at
              the precise moment Shining Path took a page from Pol Pot's book and
              began indiscriminate slaughter. Fujimori was president of Peru, and
              was uninterested in her appeals for clemency. And why should she
              receive clemency merely because she's American? Her case is
              nevertheless pitiable. Her father teaches at Baruch College, where I
              also taught; so I see myself easily in her story. Dan Berrigan has
              told me about life as a political prisoner, and it's hard to bear.

              --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, ellen lytle <thedgey@...> wrote:

              > I wondered about berenson for some time now so thanks for the
              update- she
              > sounds ok, really- what spirirt though I wonder if she's actually
              working
              > while incarcerated- thedge ps if anyone is interested there's a new
              film
              > about alberto fugii moro (SP?) and I wonder if berenson is depicted
              and how
              > much involvement fugii moro had w/her?
              >

              > On 2/1/06 7:55 AM, "mandreox" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > > Dear Friends,
              > >
              > > Greetings from Cajamarca in northern Peru. Thank you for your
              > > continued interest and support.
              > >
              > > As another year comes to a close, one starts reflecting upon all
              that
              > > has happened and what's to come the following year. Reaching my
              tenth
              > > year anniversary in jail, I am happy to say that I've been able to
              > > witness the release of many prisoners, absolutions and the
              fulfilling
              > > of sentences. However, I've seen several disturbing cases in
              which
              > > the judges have not regarded things in a humane way, and politics
              have
              > > played quite a role in this, much more than innocence or guilt.
              > >
              > > Peru is entering into an electoral year. The April 2006
              presidential
              > > elections could mean certain changes in my existence - the
              possible
              > > harshening of jail regulations or even the removal of prison
              > > benefits - as it may not. What will continue, sadly enough,
              whoever
              > > gets elected, is the increasing amount of dire poverty, lack of
              > > opportunities for the young, and a lot of unemployment. These
              > > things are inherent to the economic model that exists, whoever the
              > > head of state may be.
              > >
              > > Yet I continue to be optimistic about the future of our world and
              that
              > > is because I know we can, and will, make it different.
              > >
              > > My best to you in this holiday season and coming year.
              > >
              > > Lori Berenson
              > > December 2005
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • ellen lytle
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                I love south america but I've never been to peru or chile and always wanted
                to- I've been to brazil, but not to rio for more than a stopover, when I
                stayed near montevideo for three weeks we camped in the brazil countryside-
                my oldest son's wife is from uruguay and her family almost 20 years ago
                lived in thatched houses outside the city- I loved it there... And I wrote a
                poem which I never read or published about a Tuesday in uruguay- thedge

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Janine Vega had lived in Peru, and gave us advice before we left--
                  what kind of boots to wear, where to trade currency on the black
                  market, etc. Janine had lived on the Island of the Sun in Lake
                  Titicaca and wrote Journal of the Hermit, I believe, about her time
                  there. But Erika and I were so excited by Cuzco, we marched
                  frenziedly about the town, which is high in the Andes, and Erika fell
                  victim to altitude sickness. Another morning I went to mass in a 17th
                  century Cathedral and when the mass ended, the Indian worshippers set
                  of firecrackers. I loved it; I went outside into a bustling early
                  morning market and bought a sandwich for a nickel. The diarrhea
                  seemed unending until we met the daughter of a former mayor of La Paz
                  who was there having an affair with a French geologist; she whipped
                  up a concoction and saved me. Then Erika returned to the US and I
                  stayed in Lima. And tried the phone numbers of various writers whom
                  Janine knew. No one answered their phone. Peru at the time was run by
                  Russians. There were free Russian classes at the University of Cuzco.
                  In any case, I wasn't lonely in Lima because I met various UN
                  diplomats who would be going to New York when the conference was
                  over. When the conference was over I boarded a plane to New York.
                  When I was on the plane, tanks rolled through the streets, there was
                  a rightist coup d'etat and the Russians were asked to leave. The
                  Peruvian Left went underground, permutated and eventually emerged as
                  Sendero Luminoso or Shining Path.

                • souvienstoidemoublier
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
                    "But Erika and I were so excited by Cuzco"

                    Does this mean:

                    There was a threesome with someone named Cuzco, or in some other way
                    a person, place, concoction, rock group, delicacy named Cuzco that
                    excited the two of you, or is this something like that Glenn Campbell
                    song, "By the Time We Get to Cuzco, She'll Be Excited . . ."