96Re: CITIES TO INHABIT

    Jul 7, 2005
      Until recently I would have recommended my little complex on Staten
      Island. Then six months ago, a crackhead lady moved in with her
      hustles and street action. And then some young thugs given to
      Saturday night brawls and arrests. And finally a family of three
      whites, with a hard ex-con dad, an out-of-control little boy and an
      astoundingly loud mother. Outside now threatens like the Upper West
      Side in the early seventies.

      I've wondered why this little neighborhood suddenly tipped. It's
      probably coincidence or my bad luck. But perhaps the ongoing New York
      construction boom has forced landlords to cut rents.

      So far as I know the Norwegian community still functions.

      --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" wrote:
      > Hi Steven, This was very helpful. I looked it up.
      >
      > Where was the kid with the IPOD killed? This was in E. Flatbush I
      think
      > they said. So north of Prospect Park is ok and south of it isn't?
      >
      > I like Prospect Park. Has everybody on this list seen the
      Camperdown Elm
      > outside of the Aududon Bathhouse? It's a strange little warped tree
      that
      > Marianne Moore wrote a later poem about trying to save it. It's
      still
      > there. It must be the ugliest tree I've ever seen. It's so ugly
      it's almost
      > elegant.
      >
      > Almost. She compares this tree to the massive elms in the Asher
      Durand
      > painting set in Kaaterskill Falls which is worth a visit. She must
      have
      > been joking to compare such a stunted tree to such a massive canopy
      of elms
      > and other stately trees.
      >
      > Definitely worth reading the poem and scheduling a day around its
      visit.
      > Bring a weird lunch of odd Asian crackers that smell like fish just
      > complete the weirdness.
      >
      > East of the park were a string of nice stores and restaurants.
      West of it
      > is the Brooklyn Public Library and so on. I'm told by my
      multicultural
      > students that the best place for a white dude like myself to get
      killed
      > would be Flatbush. So I went along Flatbush in the car to
      investigate. For
      > some reason there were a lot of young black men weaving through the
      traffic
      > on tiny bicycles -- barely children's bicycles. It made a neat
      effect.

      > I was in lower Harlem at 126th St. and a nice older black fellow in
      > Morningside Park told me to get out of the park before I was
      killed.
      > Imagine someone telling Oprah to get out of Hermes or else she'd be
      killed.
      > The double standard just kills me. Well, not literally. My
      students say
      > that they are just as likely to be killed in the same neighborhoods
      so I
      > shouldn't take it personally.
      >
      > I think the problem is that if one out of a thousand people is
      violently
      > racist or just plain violent then in a community of 20,000 there
      are 20
      > people who will hurt you. In a multicultural tapestry like
      Brooklyn this
      > means always watching your back esp. if you are sporting an IPOD.
      There
      > used to be a Norwegian American community somewhere in East
      Brooklyn but for
      > some reason Robert Moses killed that community by putting an
      elevated
      > highway right through their main street and wiped out all the
      businesses but
      > that could be more tendentiousness by Robert Caro his demented
      biographer.

      > I used to like living in Seattle. I liked living in Portland.
      Prices
      > quadrupled there. I hate the south. I live in the Catskills and
      it's
      > somewhat isolating but my 5 bedroom house cost less than 200 grand
      and
      > overlooks an untouched mountain and a beautiful river which fills
      up with
      > fog every morning and then slowly lifts and my kids are very safe
      here (the
      > last murder in this county that wasn't solved was some 40 years
      ago, but of
      > course friends and lovers do kill one another). There were more
      people in
      > this county the size of Rhode Island in 1800. There are now only
      40,000.
      > There is one bookstore. Mostly it's a nature park for the New york
      City