511000 Channels

    Jan 26, 2004
      Images beget desire or loathing. The static representations in
      paintingt beget both; television only inflames desire. After midnight
      Tuesday Real Sex played against Blame it on Rio. Wednesday morning I
      was substantially worse for the experience. Movies employ a visual
      shorthand for cultural values; they ponder the ultimate, ponder but
      do not decide. It's drama with elements of the sermon. But a
      remote
      which moves a thousand stations can vitiate movie moralizing. Samuel
      Pepys in his diary reviews the Sunday sermon just as we, today, pass
      judgment on a Saturday night movie.