1468Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Dido Goodbye

    Sep 26, 2007
      I spend one hour every day hating George Bush. I try to limit myself
      to an hour. That way I have time to read.

      Among the books I am currently reading, Inside Islam has the most
      typos. It is an anthology of excerpts from the "classics" of current
      commentary on Islam. The contributors, as Tom Clark might might say,
      are All-Stars: Bernard Lewis, Karen Armstrong, Ryszard Kapucscinski,
      William T. Vollmann, V.S. Naipaul, etc. The book appeared in 2002 and
      was obviously a quickie response to 9/11. The mind allows for this
      haste and easily corrects the typos.

      --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Wright <covermag@...> wrote:

      > [symantic] sic
      > I what mean know you
      >

      > --- James Beach <bergecafe2007@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I met a man recently who said he enjoyed finding the
      > > daily typos in the NYT; I guess it gave him
      > > something to live for. As an editor, I am prone to
      > > perfectionism and so also glean a bit of superiority
      > > of the inanimate when my eye picks up what others in
      > > my field have obviously or perhaps failed to notice.
      > > Yet the content of any written piece is is far more
      > > important than the micro arrangement of letters and
      > > symbols. I think most of us allow for the occasional
      > > verbal stammers and mis-starts, slip-ups and
      > > pronounication-fumbles in speech and the same
      > > applies to literature/magazine fluff/news/et alii.
      > >
      > > While working on "ANTICS" (Berge) I created an
      > > editorial style sheet unlike any other to try and
      > > coalesce/unify what was at times a motley crew of
      > > poetic conveyances. This led to several full-book
      > > sweeps, and yet there are still circlable errors in
      > > it (as well as iffy ones which need to be viewed in
      > > the right light to ensure justification for
      > > existence-- the '60s were a doozy for conservatives
      > > and liberals alike!). Some of the "mistakes" can be
      > > blamed on bugs of one sort or another which entered
      > > the computer systems and software and data of Regent
      > > Press. This first edition of 500 is immediately a
      > > collector's item, and I expect (gods willing) that
      > > another run will afford me the opportunity to do
      > > another sweep to rid the text of any lingering
      > > detritus so as to afford the greatest luxury for the
      > > reader.
      > >
      > > Of course, as any college prof might tell you,
      > > would-be errors are often intentional and mired in
      > > the roots of words and symantics of language, to
      > > bring about a certain reaction in the reader... but
      > > you already know all that, being erudite and online
      > > seekers and bloggers too. Such is the stuff of lit?
      > >
      > > In color
      > >
      > > Mick Stephens <mickstphns@...> wrote:
      > > As a friend--she is an editor--said to me
      > > this morning: "Editors don't do the best they are
      > > capable of. They do the best they can in the limited
      > > time they have to do it." Thus, more and more,
      > > editors have less and less time to edit their
      > > manuscripts, and so we read countless books that are
      > > poorly edited and filled with typos. Even in the
      > > best of newspapers--the New York Times, the
      > > International Herald Tribune, and the Guardian, for
      > > example--there are typos on Page One. When I used to
      > > write journalism, a typo on Page One was considered
      > > a treasonable act for which you would get
      > > shit-canned. Nowadays it is a daily occurrence, and
      > > no one suffers consequences for such egregious acts.
      > > This is no reason for any of us to give up our own
      > > standards. Perhaps we are the last chance saloons
      > > for writing, literature, editing, and reading. Sign
      > > me up. I volunteer for this impossible mission...
      > >
      > > M. G. Stephens
      > > (Doctor Mick)

> [...]
      mail, news, photos & more.