1449Poetry as Performance

    Aug 7, 2007
      I like Jeffrey Cyphers Wright's writing. I posted a piece on him in
      Wikipedia. I myself stopped teaching years ago, lost my radio program,
      and have become perhaps awkward on stage. Although I read if
      asked,I feel too much stage fright to enjoy it. Jeff, on the other
      hand, thrives on stage. He's a relaxed wonderful poetry performer.

      --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, James Beach <bergecafe2007@...> wrote:

      > commune=mirror.
      > community+mirror=list-serve.
      >
      > Terrific (mock-)journal, thanks for sharing. Especially loved the
      bohemian irreverancy of Jeff's partying, which is considered so not
      cool anymore by "the management". Like, he's more apt to recieve a
      diagnosis of Addict or Alchy or Depressive than a nod from the
      Underground. The Beats-wannabes of today have come full circle, with
      even lowkey drug-use being eclipsed by the desire to show a
      social-climbing effort and a pretty face to the paparazzi. Another
      revolution in tow? Or are the kicks in the repression these days?

      > One thing negative: I think you do a disservice to the Beatles by
      quoting Steve Miller Band in the same paragraph. (Unless SMB ripped
      off that line from someplace I need to hear about?) It felt a bit off.

      > Is there more? Is Jeff a "problem" or a foil? If the former, is he
      Alpha- or Epsilon-?