1396Auden & Ginsberg

    Apr 2, 2007
      Auden's poetry collapsed into faggy folksy pointlessness. The poems
      were charming but why bother? Allen Ginsberg wrote a homage to this
      particular vein of verse in Indian Journals and it amused me mightily.
      I asked Auden if he liked Ginsberg's homage. Auden seemed excited;
      he'd never seen it, and asked me to send it to him.

      Months later I told Ginsberg how much I liked that homage. Ginsberg
      wondered if Auden had seen it.

      "Auden's seen it," I said. "I sent it to him."

      Ginsberg looked stricken. "My poem was mean," he said.