cubic structures

  • Jens Doll
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hello list,

      when reasoning about real numbers I came across quadratic fields and
      the proof for "sqrt(2) is irrational". The proof is fully algebraic
      and I do not know an analogon in geometrie for the distinction between
      reals and rationals. The problem might have emerged from Pythagoras'
      equation on triangles, which leads to quadratic fields.

      My problem is now the cubic (and higher dimensional) fields: is there
      a geometrical construction for a cubic root? I cannot remember having
      seen or read about that...

      Regards
      Jens