New paper on Jonsson's Theorem

  • William H. Rowan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2000
      Hello,

      I wrote a little paper on a generalization of Jonsson's Theorem to non-modular
      varieties, and put it on my web site. The idea is that the proof of the
      theorem motivates a definition of what it means for a congruence \alpha
      to centralize a congruence \mu. In modular varieties, this is exactly the
      notion of centralization given by commutator theory (as long as \mu is
      a minimal nontrivial congruence.) However, in non-modular varieties, we
      get possibly more than one maximal centralizer of \mu. It is the maximal
      centralizers that appear in the statement of the theorem.

      Best regards,

      Bill Rowan
    • Sydney Bulman-Fleming
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2000
        Can you send me the URL of your web-site, Bill, so I can check out the
        paper? Thanks.

        Syd B-F

        At 11:46 AM 03/11/2000 -0800, you wrote:
        >From: "William H. Rowan" <rowan@...>
        >

        >Hello,
        >
        >I wrote a little paper on a generalization of Jonsson's Theorem to
        non-modular
        >varieties, and put it on my web site. The idea is that the proof of the
        >theorem motivates a definition of what it means for a congruence \alpha
        >to centralize a congruence \mu. In modular varieties, this is exactly the
        >notion of centralization given by commutator theory (as long as \mu is
        >a minimal nontrivial congruence.) However, in non-modular varieties, we
        >get possibly more than one maximal centralizer of \mu. It is the maximal
        >centralizers that appear in the statement of the theorem.
        >
        >Best regards,
        >
        >Bill Rowan

        Sydney Bulman-Fleming, Ph.D.
        Professor
        Department of Mathematics
        Wilfrid Laurier University
        Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5, Canada

        e-mail: sbulman@... sbulman@...
        Telephone: (519) 884-0710 ext. 2223 (Home: 885-4758)
        FAX: (519) 746-3655
        WWW: http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwmath/faculty/b-fleming/home.htm