Re: Commutator theory

  • Paolo Agliano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2000
      At 21.25 23/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
      >From: "William H. Rowan" <rowan@...>
      >
      >Hello all,
      >
      >I heard once about some category-theoretic generalization of commutator
      theory.
      >The idea was to define the commutator just using joins and meets in the
      lattice
      >of congruences of pullbacks of the algebra, or something like that. It was
      >general enough that it made sense in categories other than categories of
      >algebras. Has anyone heard anything about this?
      >
      >Bill Rowan

      The only person I know who has worked in commutators and category theory
      is Maria Cristina Pedicchio, an italian lady working at the University
      of Trieste. Here is her email:

      pedicchi@...

      She has also a webpage but it does not look updated.

      http://mathsun1.univ.trieste.it/people/pedicchio_eng.html

      She's a nice person and if you write her she'll answer.

      Ciao, Paolo
    • David Hobby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000

        > I heard once about some category-theoretic generalization of commutator theory.
        > The idea was to define the commutator just using joins and meets in the lattice
        > of congruences of pullbacks of the algebra, or something like that. It was
        > general enough that it made sense in categories other than categories of
        > algebras. Has anyone heard anything about this?

        I swore I had the paper, but when I looked for it I only found
        this one:

        Some characterizations of the commutator, A. Day and H.P. Gumm,
        Algebra Universalis 29 (1992), 61-78

        It might be a place to start, though.

        ---David Hobby
      • Michael Thayer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
          You might want to check the following URL:

          http://www.cs.elte.hu/~ewkiss/publist.html

          there are several papers there that might be close to what you are looking
          for.