Regular presentations

  • Jiri Adamek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2007
      I would be grateful for hints about terminology and/or references
      on the concept of "regular presentation" introduced years ago
      by Vera Trnkova and myself: it is an equational presentation
      such that every equation has the same set of variables on both sides
      (possibly with different numbers of occurences). In our book
      "Automata and algebras in categories" we mention that every such
      a presentation defines a finitary set functor H (whose algebras are
      precisely the algebras of the variety) which preserves inverse images.
      In a joint paper under preparation the converse is proved: whenever
      a finitary set functor preserves inverse images, it has a regular
      presentation. Is this known or closely related to known results?

      Thanks,
      Jiri Adamek

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      alternative e-mail address (in case reply key does not work):
      J.Adamek@...
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx