Installation Issue

  • Lev Lafayette
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
      Hi Unison people,

      I'm having issues with a source installation on a Linux cluster (Centos 5.5 64-bit) with environment modules.

      I've installed ocaml-3.12 and it conducted minimal tests i.e.,

      [lev@tango ~]$ module load caml
      [lev@tango ~]$ ocamlc -o hello hello.ml
      [lev@tango ~]$ ./hello
      Hello world!

      However even with the compilation of Unison, things do not quite go right:

      [root@tango-m unison-2.9.1]# module list
      Currently Loaded Modulefiles:
      1) caml/3.12
      [root@tango-m unison-2.9.1]# make UISTYLE=text
      ubase/uprintf.o: In function `camlUprintf__5':
      (.data+0xc8): undefined reference to `format_int'
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
      Error: Error during linking
      make: *** [unison] Error 2

      Regards,

      --
      Lev Lafayette, Systems Administrator, Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing, lev@...
      "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response." RFC 1855
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2011
        On 11 mars 2011, at 05:17, Lev Lafayette wrote:

        > However even with the compilation of Unison, things do not quite go right:
        >
        > [root@tango-m unison-2.9.1]# module list
        > Currently Loaded Modulefiles:
        > 1) caml/3.12
        > [root@tango-m unison-2.9.1]# make UISTYLE=text
        > ubase/uprintf.o: In function `camlUprintf__5':
        > (.data+0xc8): undefined reference to `format_int'
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        > File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
        > Error: Error during linking
        > make: *** [unison] Error 2

        You need a more recent version of Unison to be able to compile it with the latest OCaml.

        Alan
      • Lev Lafayette
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2011
          > On 11 mars 2011, at 05:17, Lev Lafayette wrote:
          >

          > You need a more recent version of Unison to be able to compile it with
          > the latest OCaml.

          You're right, I do need a more recent version of Unison :)

          OK, following extraction of the most recent stable version of Unison
          (2.40.61) and using OCaml 3.12.0 I am still getting errors in the make
          procedure. Given the simplicity of the install procedure I can happily
          include the entire output...

          - - -
          [root@tango-m unison-2.40.61]# make UISTYLE=text
          ./mkProjectInfo > Makefile.ProjectInfo
          /bin/sh: ./mkProjectInfo: No such file or directory
          make: *** Deleting file `Makefile.ProjectInfo'
          UISTYLE = text
          Building for Unix
          NATIVE = true
          THREADS = false
          STATIC = false
          OSTYPE =
          OSARCH =
          make tags
          make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/UNISON/unison-2.40.61'
          ./mkProjectInfo > Makefile.ProjectInfo
          /bin/sh: ./mkProjectInfo: No such file or directory
          make[1]: *** Deleting file `Makefile.ProjectInfo'
          if [ -f `which etags` ]; then \
          etags *.mli */*.mli *.ml */*.ml */*.m *.c */*.c *.txt \
          ; fi
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/UNISON/unison-2.40.61'
          - - -

          Variations, such as touch Makefile.ProjectInfo prior to `make` do
          not help. I should mention that mkProjectInfo.ml is present. I've
          checked the path to caml and it (as noted in the prior email) compiles
          fine.

          Best wishes,

          --
          Lev Lafayette, Systems Administrator, Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing, lev@...
          "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response." RFC 1855
          110 Victoria Street phone: 03 9925 4909
          Carlton South, Victoria 3053, Australia mobile: 0432 255 208
        • Benjamin C. Pierce
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2011
          • 11 KB
          Can you try with this Makefile instead?

          - Benjamin
        • Alessndro Marchetti
          Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
            This makefile worked for me.

            I had the issue to not be able to compile Unison newr that 2.27 on a nas QNAP TS-210 with ARM processor, and this makefile allowed me to upgrade to current stable release 2.40.61.

            Thank you.