shortcut confirmation

  • Greg Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009

      I notice that 2.32.33 doesn't give a "shortcut" confirmation any more when using local copies of a file (e.g. after renaming). I found that a useful confirmation that the program was doing what is expected. Even a brief version like "Locally copying (hostname)" would be sufficient, if the wish was to make the log more easily readable.

      cheers,
      Greg
    • Jerome Vouillon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:05:03AM +0200, Greg Michael wrote:
        > I notice that 2.32.33 doesn't give a "shortcut" confirmation any more when
        > using local copies of a file (e.g. after renaming). I found that a useful
        > confirmation that the program was doing what is expected. Even a brief
        > version like "Locally copying (hostname)" would be sufficient, if the wish
        > was to make the log more easily readable.

        Indeed, printing this message is disabled under Windows in Unison 2.32
        for technical reasons (it can result on a deadlock when the message is
        printed from the server). It is back in the developper version of
        Unison.

        -- Jerome
      • Greg Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2009

          About shortcuts again (still using 2.32.33)...

          I have a negatives.prf for a path which I synchronise separately because the transfers can take much longer than usual stuff, containing something like

          path = pictures/negatives

          On a laptop, which doesn't have space for this directory, I accumulate some more of the same type of files in pictures/laptop_negatives which I sync with the default.prf . Later, on a different spoke which has both directories, I move the contents of laptop_negatives into negatives and resync with negatives.prf

          Since the hub has all the files already, I'd expect it to be using the shortcut copy, but it appears not - I'd guess that unison is searching only the reduced subset of the archive for possible matches. Is there any reason why it shouldn't use the whole archive for this purpose?

          greg