Unison fails with long filenames

  • Eric Wheeler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2009
      Hello all, where do I post bug reports?

      Unison saves files to a temporary name while transferring them, and these
      names may exceed the filesystem maximum name (or path) length. Below is a
      simple proof of concept using 2.27.57.

      A simple fix would be to truncate the filename appropriatey, or use some
      meaningless temporary filename.

      -Eric

      --
      Eric Wheeler
      President

      www.eWheeler.net
      503-330-4277
      PO Box 86710
      Portland, OR 97286

      -----------------------------------
      ewheeler@geek:~/tmp$ mkdir a b
      ewheeler@geek:~/tmp$ echo > a/`perl -e "print 'a'x255"`
      ewheeler@geek:~/tmp$ unison a b
      Contacting server...
      Connected [//geek//tmp/ewheeler/a -> //geek//tmp/ewheeler/b]
      Looking for changes
      Reconciling changes

      a b
      new file ---->
      aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
      [f]

      Proceed with propagating updates? [] y
      Propagating updates

      UNISON 2.27.57 started propagating changes at 12:49:30 on 27 Jun 2009
      [BGN] Copying
      aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
      from /tmp/ewheeler/a to /tmp/ewheeler/b
      Failed: Error in querying file information:
      File name too long
      [lstat(/tmp/ewheeler/b/.unison.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.0fc3d66042c687f76307bec2fae63f32.unison.tmp)]
      Failed
      [aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa]:
      Error in querying file information:
      File name too long
      [lstat(/tmp/ewheeler/b/.unison.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.0fc3d66042c687f76307bec2fae63f32.unison.tmp)]
      UNISON 2.27.57 finished propagating changes at 12:49:30 on 27 Jun 2009

      Saving synchronizer state
      Synchronization incomplete (0 items transferred, 0 skipped, 1 failure)
      failed:
      aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

      ewheeler@geek:~/tmp$ find a b
      a/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    • Jerome Vouillon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2009
        Hello,

        On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:54:11PM -0700, Eric Wheeler wrote:
        > Unison saves files to a temporary name while transferring them, and these
        > names may exceed the filesystem maximum name (or path) length. Below is a
        > simple proof of concept using 2.27.57.
        >
        > A simple fix would be to truncate the filename appropriatey, or use some
        > meaningless temporary filename.

        Thanks for your bug report!

        This is fixed in the developer version of Unison. I will probably
        backport the fix to the stable and beta versions soon.

        -- Jerome