getting at the help

  • Mark H. Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2002
      I just found out how hard it is to access the help information within
      the Unison binary if you don't actually want to synchronise anything. I
      was just wanting to check the semantics of one of the options and
      'unison -help' was a bit too brief. I had to mess around creating a
      couple of directories in /tmp just to get the user interface to start up
      cleanly.

      In the process I inadvertently added two 'root = ' lines to the default
      profile (by just selecting the default options in the dialog boxes) and
      finished up in a state where this would happen:

      [mhw@sputnik mhw]$ unison /tmp/a /tmp/b
      Wrong number of roots: 2 expected, but 4 provided (, , /tmp/b, /tmp/a)
      (Maybe you gave roots both on the command line and in the profile?)
      [mhw@sputnik mhw]$

      which took a few minutes thought to unravel.

      How difficult would it be for the unison gui to carry on running if
      there are fatal errors in the profile that has been selected? What about
      bringing up the main window as well as the profile selection window when
      you just type 'unison'? There should be some way to get the help on the
      screen without having to work at it.

      -Mark.
    • Zhe Yang
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2002
        > How difficult would it be for the unison gui to carry on running if
        > there are fatal errors in the profile that has been selected? What about
        > bringing up the main window as well as the profile selection window when
        > you just type 'unison'? There should be some way to get the help on the
        > screen without having to work at it.

        Good points. But we need to rethink about the logic of the Unison/GUI
        states. Probably it's fairly easy to make the proposed change.
        Otherwise we would rather wait till other more critical problems have been
        solved.

        Zhe