A couple of problems

  • Luke Blanshard
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 8:19 AM
      I've been using unison for a few weeks, trying to keep a couple of
      geographically dispersed directories in sync. For a while it worked
      pretty well, but now it dies every time I run it. I'm seeing errors
      like "Uncaught exception Remote.GrabEOF" consistently. I tried blowing
      away the archive files on both sides of the link but that didn't solve
      the problem, just changed the error messages. Before this I was seeing
      messages about getting unexpected kinds of results---unfortunately,
      I didn't save the text of those messages.

      These directories are big. The files add up to over a gig in size
      spread over more than 80,000 files.

      Does this ring a bell? Should I try the latest snapshot instead? Or
      am I pushing this thing beyond its capacity?

      Thanks,
      Luke

      P.S. The link to the mailing list from the download page is broken now
      that onelist has been absorbed by egroups...
    • Jerome Vouillon
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28 2:32 PM
        On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 08:19:48AM -0700, Luke Blanshard wrote:
        > I've been using unison for a few weeks, trying to keep a couple of
        > geographically dispersed directories in sync. For a while it worked
        > pretty well, but now it dies every time I run it. I'm seeing errors
        > like "Uncaught exception Remote.GrabEOF" consistently. I tried blowing
        > away the archive files on both sides of the link but that didn't solve
        > the problem, just changed the error messages. Before this I was seeing
        > messages about getting unexpected kinds of results---unfortunately,
        > I didn't save the text of those messages.

        This error means that the server is crashing for some reason.
        When does it happen: immediately after you start unison, during the
        check for updates or during the synchronisation?
        Also, could you send us what gets printed when you run unison with the
        '-debug all' flag.

        > These directories are big. The files add up to over a gig in size
        > spread over more than 80,000 files.
        >
        > Does this ring a bell? Should I try the latest snapshot instead?

        If you are not using the latest stable release (1.231), you should
        definitively upgrade. But I don't think it will solve your problem.

        > Or am I pushing this thing beyond its capacity?

        No, Unison should be able to handle this without problem.

        -- Jérôme
      • Luke Blanshard
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28 3:25 PM
          Jerome Vouillon wrote:

          > On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 08:19:48AM -0700, Luke Blanshard wrote:
          > > ... I'm seeing errors
          > > like "Uncaught exception Remote.GrabEOF" consistently...
          >
          > This error means that the server is crashing for some reason.
          > When does it happen: immediately after you start unison, during the
          > check for updates or during the synchronisation?

          During the check for updates.

          > Also, could you send us what gets printed when you run unison with the
          > '-debug all' flag.

          Well, I got 19 megs of output on the client and 22 on the server. Also, it
          died on a different error this time, an undifferentiated write error while
          writing the client's archive file. Just FYI, there's plenty of room on both
          directories, and in my home directory too.

          Here is the tail of the server's output:

          [server: update] updatePathInArchive NoArchive /raid0/share
          [mozilla/xpcom/proxy/tests/CVS/Entries] []
          [server: update] updateArchiveLocal
          /raid0/share/mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share []
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share [mozilla]
          [xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share [mozilla/xpfe]
          [xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer] [src/CVS/Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src] [CVS/Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /raid0/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS] [Entries]
          [server: update] updatePathInArchive NoArchive /raid0/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries] []
          [server: update] Saving archive in
          /home/luke/.unison/sc1a1f7d865ef48de072c514eada409a02

          And here is the tail of the client:

          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpcom/proxy/tests] [CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpcom/proxy/tests/CVS] [Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive NoArchive /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpcom/proxy/tests/CVS/Entries] []
          [update] updateArchiveLocal
          /quiq/share/mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share []
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share [mozilla]
          [xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share [mozilla/xpfe]
          [xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer]
          [src/CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src] [CVS/Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive ArchiveDir /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS] [Entries]
          [update] updatePathInArchive NoArchive /quiq/share
          [mozilla/xpfe/xpviewer/src/CVS/Entries] []
          [update] Updating archives
          [update] Saving archive in
          /export/home/luke/.unison/sc14d51f00320587f9deb95e3c5cd90e7c
          [update] Copying archive
          /export/home/luke/.unison/tm14d51f00320587f9deb95e3c5cd90e7c to
          /export/home/luke/.unison/ar14d51f00320587f9deb95e3c5cd90e7c
          [exn] Converting a Unix error to Transient:
          Error in readWrite:
          Input/output error [write()]
          [exn] Converting a Transient error to Fatal:
          Error in readWrite:
          Input/output error [write()]

          > If you are not using the latest stable release (1.231), you should
          > definitively upgrade. But I don't think it will solve your problem.

          That's the version I'm using.

          Thanks for replying, and let me know if you need more data!

          Luke
        • Benjamin C. Pierce
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28 3:48 PM
            (Not sure if this got posted before...)

            I had this problem a couple of days ago. Did you perhaps compile
            unison with different version of the ocaml compiler on the two
            machines?

          • Luke Blanshard
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28 4:11 PM
              "Benjamin C. Pierce" wrote:

              > I had this problem a couple of days ago. Did you perhaps compile
              > unison with different version of the ocaml compiler on the two
              > machines?

              Nope, I'm running one of the precompiled versions, the same on both
              machines. Now, one of them is running Linux 2.2.14 and the other is
              2.2.13, but that's the only difference I know about. And I have a hard
              time believing that has anything to do with it.

              Luke
            • Jerome Vouillon
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28 7:52 PM
                On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 06:48:09PM -0400, Benjamin C. Pierce wrote:
                > I had this problem a couple of days ago. Did you perhaps compile
                > unison with different version of the ocaml compiler on the two
                > machines?

                The marshaling format has not changed since at least OCaml 1.06. So,
                there should be no compatibility problem between the different ocaml
                compilers.

                I suspect you got this error because prcs does not update the version
                number when you merge some changes. So, you ran two versions of unison
                that was actually incompatible. (I made some incompatible changes just
                before you had this problem.)

                -- Jérôme
              • Benjamin C. Pierce
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28 8:16 PM
                  > The marshaling format has not changed since at least OCaml 1.06. So,
                  > there should be no compatibility problem between the different ocaml
                  > compilers.
                  >
                  > I suspect you got this error because prcs does not update the version
                  > number when you merge some changes. So, you ran two versions of unison
                  > that was actually incompatible. (I made some incompatible changes just
                  > before you had this problem.)

                  You're right -- I was misremembering.

                • Luke Blanshard
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2000
                    Here's an update.

                    I've switched to running unison on the NFS server machine, instead of the
                    NFS client, and now unison is working perfectly. I have to assume that the bad
                    press that the Linux NFS server implementation receives is justified. On the
                    far end I am still running unison on an NFS client, but the server there is
                    FreeBSD not Linux.

                    Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. And thanks for the tool.

                    Luke