Unison with internationalized filenames (alpha-release)

  • Benjamin C. Pierce
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2003
      [The source code for the internationalized version is now available...]

      We are happy to announce a new version of Unison with a user interface
      based on Gtk 2.2, enabling display of filenames with any locale encoding.

      Please note that this is a source-code-only alpha release, that it has
      not been thoroughly tested, and that it is currently only known to work
      smoothly with Linux and OSX (it *should* work with other platforms, but
      there will probably be installation issues). To use it, you will need to
      download the developer source tarball and recompile it from scratch. A
      binary release will happen in due course, when we've shaken out the bugs.

      - Stephen Tse and Benjamin Pierce

      ==== from src/README.gtk2

      In order to use gtk2 with unison,

      1) install glib, pango, gtk (version >2.2)
      from http://www.gtk.org/

      2) install lablgtk2 (version >20030423)
      from http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html

      3) install unison (version >2.9.36)
      from http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

      Simply type 'make'.

      Makefile will detect the presence of lablgtk2 directory
      $(OCAMLLIBDIR)/lablgtk2 (such as /usr/local/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2/)
      and use UISTYLE=gtk2 by default. If absent, it falls back to
      lablgtk with UISTYLE=gtk, then back to UISTYLE=text.

      You can force the selection by
      make UISTYLE=gtk2
      or make UISTYLE=gtk
      or make UISTYLE=text

      4) setup your locale environment properly
      for example, export LANG=zh_HK.BIG5-HKSCS

      otherwise, you will get
      Uncaught exception Glib.GError("Invalid byte sequence in conversion input")

      5) enjoy unison with i18n!

      For gtk2-specific questions, please contact
      Stephen Tse <stse@...>

      For general questions, please contact
      Benjamin Pierce <bcpierce@...>