New alpha-release of unison with internationalized filenames

  • Benjamin C. Pierce
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2003
      We are happy to announce a new version of Unison with a user interface
      based on Gtk 2.2, enabling display of filenames with any locale encoding.

      Please note that this is a source-code-only alpha release. To use it,
      you will need to download the developer source tarball and recompile it
      from scratch. (A binary release will happen in due course, when we've
      shaken out the bugs.)

      - Stephen Tse and Benjamin Pierce

      ==== from src/README.gtk2

      In order to use gtk2 with unison,

      1) install glib, pango, gtk (version >2.2)
      from http://www.gtk.org/

      2) install lablgtk2 (version >20030423)
      from http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html

      3) install unison (version >2.9.36)
      from http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

      Simply type 'make'.

      Makefile will detect the presence of lablgtk2 directory
      $(OCAMLLIBDIR)/lablgtk2 (such as /usr/local/lib/ocaml/lablgtk2/)
      and use UISTYLE=gtk2 by default. If absent, it falls back to
      lablgtk with UISTYLE=gtk, then back to UISTYLE=text.

      You can force the selection by
      make UISTYLE=gtk2
      or make UISTYLE=gtk
      or make UISTYLE=text

      4) setup your locale environment properly
      for example, export LANG=zh_HK.BIG5-HKSCS

      otherwise, you will get
      Uncaught exception Glib.GError("Invalid byte sequence in conversion input")

      5) enjoy unison with i18n!

      For gtk2-specific questions, please contact
      Stephen Tse <stse@...>

      For general questions, please contact
      Benjamin Pierce <bcpierce@...>