UN Day Luncheon in OKC ... You're Invited!

  • wildbill73107@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2010

      TO: Members and Friends of the United Nations Association

      This month marks the 65th anniversary of the founding of the United Nations. In Oklahoma City, we will observe this anniversary with our annual UN Day luncheon, and you're invited to attend:

      Saturday, October 23rd -- 11:45am
      Oklahoma City University
      McDaniel University Center
      2501 N. Blackwelder
      OKC, OK 73106

      I want to offer three reasons why you ought to be in the room when this program begins:

      (1) Good People, Good Food. Where else in Oklahoma City are you going to find such a great collection of people who are tuned in to global affairs and who know a thing or two about life outside of The 405? Plus, the food will be good. (Taco salad bar, I think). And the price is reasonable -- Tickets are only $20 each. Free if you're a student ... Read below for more information on ticket reservations.

      (2) A Keynote Speaker with knowledge and expertise in global peace and security. Our keynote speaker will be retired Ambassador Edwin Corr -- with international experience in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Thailand, Mexico, and Colombia. Most recently, Ambassador Corr has served as a professor of political science at the University of Oklahoma. He knows more about international and security affairs than most of the folks who are running for Congress this year. (IMHO).

      (3) Stand up to show your support for human dignity and international cooperation. As Kermit the Frog once said, "It isn't easy being green." And, in land-locked Oklahoma, it isn't easy being a supporter of the United Nations. You know it's true. The platform of a major political party in our state is calling for the US to withdraw from the UN. Our legislature has voted to oppose Children's Rights and Treaty Law. Too few people in our state are willing to say plainly, "The UN Works."

      But, we can be proud that the UN does work to promote human rights and global security. For example:

      <> It was announced last month that child mortality rates have improved again in the last year. "Over the last 50 years, UNICEF and its partners have helped reduce the worldwide child mortality rate by more than 1/2."

      <> From Haiti to Timor-Leste, sixteen UN peacekeeping operations help to support peace and security for people in crisis zones.

      <> And, for those penny-pinching misers who think the US can't afford to engage with the United Nations, there's a new report from the Better World Campaign showing that for every $1 our nation invests into the UN, we receive $1.50 in return. That's real money going into the pockets of real Americans. See the report at ...
      http://issuu.com/unfoundation/docs/bwc_brochure_econ_benefits_full

      How do you get a ticket for our UN Day Luncheon?

      It's as easy as A-B-C.

      [A] Visit www.una-okc.org and download a copy of the reservation brochure.

      [B] Print it out, fill it in, mail it back.

      [C] Don't forget to make your check payable to "UNA-USA."

      The deadline for tickets is Friday, October 15th. So, please send in your reservation form soon.

      Oh, and if you know a student (high school, college, etc.), please tell them about the free tickets we have available. Forward this email message to them. We would love to have a house full of smart, young people to enjoy Ambassador Corr's remarks -- including you!

      Thanks for your support of the United Nations Association,

      --Bill Bryant
      President, OKC Chapter
      United Nations Association of the USA

      www.una-okc.org

    • wildbill73107@cox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2010
        Hi!

        If you're still thinking about lunch next Saturday, this is just a reminder that you need to reserve your place -- if you haven't already. We're fixin' to turn in the final tally to the caterer this week.

        So, if you've got a notion that you'd like to enjoy lunch with Ambassador Corr and me at Oklahoma City University, please be sure to let me know ASAP.

        Feel free to reply directly to this email message. Or leave a message on my cell phone ... 405-760-5322.

        More info about the luncheon is on our website at ... www.una-okc.org.

        'Hope you have a Happy Monday!

        Bill Bryant
        President