Bethany Man is Missing in Haitian Earthquake

  • wildbill73107@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2010

      TO: Members and Friends of the United Nations Association in Greater OKC

      Hi! This is just a short note to call your attention to a breaking news story. Members of our board of directors have been alerted that Mr. Bhojraj Luchmun, a field security agent serving the United Nations in Haiti, is missing following the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Port-Au-Prince earlier this month.

      Mr. Luchmun, a native of Mauritius, has had a residence in Bethany since 2008. His wife is a student at Southern Nazarene
      University, and he has two children who are attending school in Bethany.

      You can read more details on our website ... www.una-okc.org www.una-okc.org

      As you can imagine, Mr. Luchmun's friends and family are desperate to hear news about him. Your thoughts and prayers would be welcome and appreciated.

      As we receive more news, I'll be sure to let you know.

      Bill Bryant
      Chapter Volunteer
      Greater Oklahoma City Chapter

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010

        It saddens me to report the latest news about Bhojraj Luchmun.
        Our worst fears were confirmed over the weekend. His remains were
        identified. A funeral will take place in Mauritius. You can read a short
        article online here:

        www.una-okc.org www.una-okc.org

        A copy of the item is pasted below.

        Other news on the UNA-OKC website includes an announcement about our High School Essay Contest winner as well as a message from our chapter president, Dr. Robert Cox.

        --Bill Bryant
        Chapter Volunteer
        United Nations Association, Greater OKC

        Members and friends of the Oklahoma City chapter
        of the UN Association mourn the loss of Bhojraj
        Luchmun, whose death in Haiti was confirmed on
        January 30, 2010.

        Mr. Luchmun, who was 45 years old, served as a field security
        agent for MINUSTAH, the UN's peacekeeping mission to Haiti.
        He is survived by his wife, Stenie Luchmun, a resident of
        Bethany (OK), and their two children.

        The lives of at least 70 other UN staffers were lost in the
        January 12th earthquake, including the head of MINUSTAH, Mr.
        Hedi Anabi. A complete list of UN staffers who were killed in
        Haiti can be found HERE.

        A native of Mauritius -- an island nation in the Indian Ocean --
        Mr. Luchmun and his family moved to Bethany in 2008. Mrs.
        Luchmun is a student at Southern Nazarene University.

        Stenie Luchmun described her husband as a man of faith who
        was proud of his professional work, including over 20 years of
        experience in the military and police force in Mauritius.

        "He was a devoted family man who rose early each morning to
        say prayers," Mrs. Luchmun said. "I miss him very, very much."

        She keeps a photograph of Mr. Luchmun, known to many as
        "Sudesh," depicting her husband standing on the sidelines of a
        soccer field in Bethany.

        We cherish the memory of Mr. Luchmun as we remember the
        losses sustained by the families of all peacekeepers from
        around the world.

        # # #