Wak the World; End Hunger

  • una-okc@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 3:50 AM
      This Sunday, invite your friends and family to take a walk.

      The annual "Walk the World" fundraiser for the World Food Program and the Regional Food Bank will be this Sunday at Casady School in Oklahoma City.

      What?
      Walk the World 2009  A walk in 24 time zones in a 24-hour period

      Why?
      Raise awareness of childhood hunger and funding to tackle the problem through school feeding programs
      Make checks payable to United Nations World Food Programme, School Feeding  or Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, Food-4-Kids Program

      When?
      Sunday, June 7, 2009, 2-4 p.m.

      Where?
      Casady School, Around the Lake  9500 North Pennsylvania, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73012    If it rains:  Casady School Gym

      Who?
      Anyone interested in walking a few laps around the lake.  No pre-registration required.  T-shirts available while supplies last.  Donations for t-shirts welcome, but not required.

      How?
      Register at the amphitheater.  Walk around the lake.  Read the awareness signs.  Look at the silent auction items.  At 3:30:  Silent Auction ends, winners announce via post-it note sign.  Silent Auction Winner:  Pay for items and pick up.   Music provided by Up with People CD.

      Carmen Clay provides additional background information on this fun event:

      "A group of three freshmen boys is organizing a small Walk the World 2009 at Casady School, 9500 North Pennsylvania, this coming Sunday from 2-4pm around our beautiful Casady Lake.  Their goal is to have 100 walkers and raise awareness of childhood hunger local and global with homemade signs featuring statistics from the United Nations World Food Programme School Feeding and the Food Bank Food-4-Kids Program.

      "Funding will be raised with donations given at the walk, proceeds from a silent auction of Thunder gifts.  They are hoping to have 2 Thunder players on site also.

      (NOTE:  You have heard of the OKC Thunder, right?  Think NBA.  Think tall people.  Think incredible athletes!)

      "Water to drink will be available, but every walker should bring a water container because we will not be providing cups.

      "I thought we were not going to be having a walk, but they got organized quickly after finals graduation.  Our graduation was yesterday."

      For more information about "Walk the World," please see ...

      Please share this announcement with anyone who:

      (1)  Likes basketball; or
      (2)  Likes to walk; or
      (3)  Wants to support the World Food Program's courageous work to end global hunger.

      Thanks ... I hope to see you at the walk on Sunday!

      # # #