Have Lunch with a Movie Star

  • wildbill73107@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008

      If you:

      (a) Support the good work of the United Nations; or

      (b) Care about human rights, especially the rights of women; or

      (c) Would like to hear an informative talk about the humanitarian crisis caused by the problem of human trafficking; or

      (d) Would simply like to say that you're planning to have lunch with a movie star....

      ... Then, please read this announcement.

      The Oklahoma City chapter of the United Nations Association is proud to welcome award-winning actress and United Nations Goodwill Ambassador Famke Janssen.

      Ms. Janssen will be a special guest at our annual United Nations Day luncheon:

      Saturday, October 25th -- 11:45am
      University of Oklahoma Faculty House Restaurant
      601 NE 14th Street
      Oklahoma City, OK 73104

      A limited number of tickets are available for this program. Advance reservations are required. For information on how to purchase tickets, please visit:

      www.una-okc.org

      If you (like me) have to ask, "Who is Famke Janssen?" then you clearly do not go to enough popular movies or watch enough television.

      Her credits include movie appearances in "GoldenEye" (the James Bond flick), "Fathers & Sons" with Jeff Goldblum, the "X-Men" movies (in which she played superheroine Dr. Jean Gray), and many more. Check out the IMDB website for a complete list of her roles.

      ( IMDB website ... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000463/ ).

      She also had a guest role in one of my favorite episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

      In 2003, Ms. Janssen was awarded the International Star of the Year. In 2004, she won the Hollywood Life Breakthrough Artist of the Year for her work on "Nip/Tuck" (the TV series). In 2006, the Hamptons International Film Festival awarded her with the Golden Starfish Award for career achievement in acting.

      Earlier this year, Ms. Janssen was appointed a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador for Integrity at the Second Conference of the States Parties to the United Nations Convention against Corruption, held in Nusa Dua, Bali.

      As a Goodwill Ambassador for Integrity, Ms. Janssen uses her celebrity status to raise awareness about the chronic problems of human trafficking, illicit drugs, and governmental corruption.

      Appearing with Ms. Janssen will be Dr. Jill Irvine, Director of the Women's Studies Program at the University of Oklahoma.

      Dr. Irvine teaches courses on Religion and Violence, Religion, Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict, Women and World Politics, Women, Religion and Secularism, and Feminist Theory. She will be the keynote speaker at our luncheon.

      Dr. Irvine's topic will be, "Human Trafficking: A Humanitarian Crisis." Coincidentally, Famke Janssen's newest film – due out soon – also deals with this subject!

      Our chapter's UN Day Luncheon is a perfect opportunity to show your support for the United Nations, say “Hi!” to other chapter members, and – this year – enjoy a little bit of Hollywood glamor.

      Tickets are going fast .. Get yours soon!

      Visit our website at www.una-okc.org for more information.

      # # #

      Are you a member yet?
      Click here to join the United Nations Association . . . .

      www.una-okc.org/join

      The United Nations Association of Greater OKC
      "Dedicated to educating, inspiring and mobilizing Americans to support the vital work of the United Nations."

      www.una-okc.org