"Dreaming Together"

  • Bill Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      TO:  Members and Friends of the UN Association

      Preparations for the 2008 celebration of the International Day of Peace (September 21st) are proceeding.  There will be a meeting of the planning committee later today -- Thursday, Jan. 3rd.  You're invited to attend.  Details are included in this message.

      Also, please remember the next meeting of our chapter's board of directors.  It will be on Monday, January 14th, which is the 2nd Monday this month.  You can find more information, including minutes of our December meeting, posted on our website at ...

      ... Click on the "Board" page, then look for the virtual file cabinet.

      By the way, please check out the new page that has been added to the website of the United Nations Association of Greater OKC:

      It describes the purpose and vision of the "Walk the World" fund-raiser for the World Food Program.  It will take place later this year.

      Best wishes to everyone for a peaceful and prosperous New Year!

      --Bill Bryant
      760-5322

      Dreaming Together
      There are a whole bunch of youth-oriented activities that are focused on promoting peace, non-violence, and ‘wholeness’ in our communities.  Isn't it time for you to get involved?

      An informal group of school teachers, community activists, peace planners, and pinwheel spinners will meet regularly on the first Thursday of each month in order to plan for the 2008 International Day of Peace.

      There is a general consensus that Oklahoma City should have the opportunity to enjoy another community-wide celebration of the International Day of Peace in 2008.  Moreover, there is a lot of interest in having monthly meetings – on the first Thursday of each month – in order to do advance planning for it.  So, our next meeting will be:

      Thursday, January 3rd -- 5pm
      Grateful Bean Cafe
      1039 N Walker
      Oklahoma 73102
      PHONE: (405) 236-3503
      (Here’s a webpage with a scalable map … http://www.okclive. com/bean/)

      It seems like there are a couple of reasons why people are interested in meeting regularly.  One is to prepare for next year’s celebration, obviously.  We'll firm up plans for a visit to the Myriad Gardens.  It is being considered as the venue for the International Day of Peace celebration in Oklahoma City (2008):

      In addition, we recognize that there are a whole bunch of youth-oriented activities that are focused on promoting peace, non-violence, and ‘wholeness’ in our community.  Many of us are involved in projects aimed at empowering young people to become responsible citizens in the world.  There is a sense that we can support each other in our endeavors... .

      # # #

      Are you a member yet?
      Click here to join online . . . .

      "The future is prepared by dreamers, by utopists, by those who dare to conceive of something better than the inadequate reality of today."
      - Professor Charles Richet, Nobel Prize of Medicine 1913

      The United Nations Association of Greater OKC
      "Dedicated to educating, inspiring and mobilizing Americans to support the vital work of the United Nations."