Small Voices Make a Difference

  • Bill Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Congratulations to the students, parents, and community groups who participated in this year's Walk the World OKC project.

      Dozens of walkers participated in yesterday's event to raise awareness and funds for the World Food Program.  A really nice, positive news report appeared on last night's news (Channel 25).  In the coming days, there will be photos and an article posted on the Casady School website.

      If you weren't able to be at the Walk, here's what you missed:  The commemorative t-shirt, the great music provided by a 2-man band, delicious BBQ from Earl's, colorful signs with informative messages about global hunger, an inspiring message from Leann Farha, and the enjoyable company of people of all ages and backgrounds.

      As I surveyed the crowd, I noticed people from a variety of community groups.  In addition to the students from Casady, there were folks from many faith groups -- including representatives of the UN Association, Soka Gakkai International, Mayflower Congregational Church, Joy Mennonite Church, the OKC Friends Meeting, the Peace House, and the ONE Campaign to Make Poverty History.

      Leann's message:  "When hunger strikes a community, it is the children who suffer most. Hunger deprives them of their will and ability to learn.Casady School 's Walk the World OKC Committee has raised more than $26,000 in the past three years, which fed about 764 children for an entire school year in developing countries through the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), School Feeding Program. WFP provides food aid to an average of 90 million people, including 56 million children."

      In honor of the Walk the World Committee and everyone who supported this year's walk, a new page had been added to the UNA-OKC website, here:

      I think you will enjoy the short ( < 4 min. ) music video that is posted there.

      # # #

      "I hope that you will continue to be the voice for the hungry poor....  Raising awareness is critical.  The world has created enough food to feed itself since the 1960s.  If we had a thousand people just like you, the American public would realize that a child dies unnecessarily from hunger every five seconds – and we would be able to leverage that awareness to mobilize the political will to end hunger tomorrow."

      --Margot Hope Hoerrner
      Vice President, Outreach
      Friends of the World Food Program

      # # #

      Make an online donation to the World Food Program:

      The United Nations Association of Greater OKC
      "Dedicated to educating, inspiring and mobilizing Americans to support the vital work of the United Nations."