Good News from Your UN Association

  • Bill Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      Good News from Your UN Association

      TO: Members and Friends of UNA-USA

      Here's a quick news report from your Oklahoma City Chapter of the United Nations Association (UNA-USA). We have two items to share.

      (1) Please mark your calendar for Saturday, March 23rd. This will be the date of our Annual Spring Luncheon. It will take place at the Raindrop Turkish House, 4444 N. Classen, in Oklahoma City. The program will start at 12 Noon, and it will feature a panel discussion on the Shot@Life Campaign of the United Nations Foundation.

      Shot@Life is a movement to protect children worldwide by providing life-saving vaccines where they are needed most. Our featured panelists will be three "Shot at Life Champions" -- Juliet Abdeljawad, Priya Desai, and Charles Swanson -- all from the Oklahoma City area.

      Priya, Charles, and Juliet traveled to Washington, DC, earlier this month at the invitation of the UN Foundation. They attended a Champions Summit with nearly 100 other Shot at Life advocates from across America. They will describe how life-saving vaccines are an essential element of the UN's Millennium Development Goals to improve life for all people around the world.

      Online ticket sales will begin next week. We hope you will join us for this special occasion!

      (2) As you may know, the State Legislature is in session, and 4 anti-UN measures have been introduced. Our chapter's advocacy team ("The Jeane Kirkpatrick Society") has been focusing their attention on House Bill 1412, sponsored by Rep. Sally Kern. HB 1412 would prohibit public commerce with UN agencies as well as an ill-defined list of non-governmental organizations. For example, it would ban our state universities and public libraries from purchasing books from UNESCO, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, etc.

      Our advocacy team has been calling and sending email messages to the members of the State's Rights Committee of the OK House of Representatives, where HB 1412 has been assigned for review and a possible recommendation.

      Here's the good news: Our message is being heard. This week's scheduled meeting of the committee was cancelled, and action on House Bill 1412 was delayed until a future date. I surmise that the committee wants to have more time to consider the pro's and con's of HB 1412. So, it seems our messages to the committee are having an impact!

      You can read more about our advocacy efforts on our blog ...

      Please consider making a phone call or sending an email to the members of the committee.

      It is our goal to defend the intellectual freedom that is currently enjoyed by the people of our state. And we will continue to promote positive American leadership in the United Nations.

      Thanks for your support!

      Bill Bryant
      President, OKC Chapter
      United Nations Association of the USA