What Can Bones Tell Us About Genocide?

  • wildbill73107@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012

      What Can Bones Tell Us About Genocide?

      TO: UNA-OKC, OK-Global

      This message includes two items:

      (1) I want to remind you about the International Day of Peace, September 21st, which will be celebrated in various ways around the world. In OKC, our annual Pinwheesl for Peace festival will be held at Oklahoma City University. Find complete details here:

      (2) I'm also forwarding a volunteer recruitment notice from an organization called "One Million Bones." You can read about their program below. It is an educational project that uses symbolism as a call to action. They are seeking a state coordinator in Oklahoma, and they are offering a stipend to cover some expenses.

      This isn't a formal endorsement of the One Million Bones project, but it sounds like a worthy project. You might know someone who is interested in this volunteer opportunity.

      See you at OCU on September 21st!

      Bill Bryant
      President, OKC Chapter
      United Nations Association of the USA

      ::: :::

      Hello! My name is Leigh Durham and I work with a project called One Million
      Bones based in Albuquerque, NM. We are a national social arts practice that
      works to raise awareness of ongoing genocide and violent conflicts by
      incorporating participatory art-making. By making handmade bones, the
      project seeks to honor those who have been affected, as well as emphasize
      our shared humanity and responsibility to one another. Each bone made also
      triggers a $1 donation towards CARE International's work on the ground in
      Somalia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, up to $500,000, through
      our partnership with Students Rebuild and the Bezos Family Foundation. In
      June of 2013, we will be laying down 1,000,000 handmade bones on the
      National Mall in Washington D.C., creating symbolic mass grave and a visual
      call to action.

      As a means to reaching this 1,000,000 bone goal, we've recently received
      funding to bring on coordinators in each state who would act as a liaison
      between the local and the national levels of the project. When looking for
      connections in Oklahoma, I came across the United Nations Association of GOC
      and thought it might be a great resource to find a possible candidate for
      the position, which would run through the fall semester. I thought I would
      reach out to your organization in hopes that you may be able to circulate
      the State Coordinator position information (see below) on a listserv or may
      know of someone in particular who might be interested in applying.

      Please let me know if you have any questions! I really appreciate it.

      Leigh Durham
      One Million Bones
      Field Organizer
      e: leigh@...
      t: 505-314-1112

      State Coordinator

      Job Description:
      One Million Bones is seeking local coordinators in each state to support
      their educational outreach work. Coordinators will represent the national
      organization at a local level with schools and other organizations
      interested in participating in this national social arts practice. Great
      organization and communication skills required. A passion for the arts,
      human rights activism or both is highly recommended.

      € Acquire a general understanding of the One Million Bones project, our
      educational partnership with Students Rebuild, and some basic knowledge of
      the history and current situations in our countries of focus.
      € Coordinating state bone making efforts to produce 7,000 bones by December
      € Act as a liaison between One Million Bones main office and individual
      € Conduct outreach, follow-up and act as facilitator as needed to meet 7,000
      bones benchmark.
      € Attend weekly or bi-weekly skype calls with National Liaison and/or Public
      € Assist participants in securing storage, supplies and transportation as
      € Support local efforts to publicize the project.

      Job Requirements:
      € Flexible schedule.
      € Willing to travel locally if needed.
      € Clear, consistent communication with One Million Bones office about

      € $1,200 Stipend for fall semester to be divided in to two payments.
      Coordinator is responsible for all applicable taxes.

      To apply, please familiarize yourself with the One Million Bones project and
      if fitting, please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for
      two references to our Field Organizer, Leigh at: