Two Events in OKC for Friends of the UN Association

  • Bill Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2012
      Two Events in OKC for Friends of the UN Association

      TO:  Members & Friends of the UN Association, OKC Chapter

      It's April, and we have a couple of programs you might like to know about -- including our Spring Dinner.

      First, I'm very proud to announce that we will be co-hosting the appearance of Mr. John Washburn of the Washington Working Group on the International Criminal Court (ICC).  You know about the ICC.  It is a crucial new instrument in the struggle against perpetrators of war crimes and other crimes against humanity.  You may have heard the news about the recent conviction of Thomas Lubanga, a human trafficker who kidnapped and coerced young children to join his fighting force in eastern Congo. The ICC is creating a new reality in the arena of international justice.  War criminals can no longer assume they will enjoy impunity from prosecution and punishment. This is a major evolution of justice in our world.

      Mr. Washburn will offer a free talk about the ICC on Tuesday, April 10th, at the First Unitarian Church of Oklahoma City.  The program will start at 7pm. You can find more information at our website ... .

      www.una-okc.org

      Please feel free to share this link with your friends and colleagues.  You don't need to RSVP for Mr. Washburn's talk.  Everyone is welcome to attend.

      Second, our Spring Dinner will be on Friday, April 27th, at 7pm.  You might have already received your notice about the Spring Dinner.  I hope you will reserve your place ASAP.  We're going to have a great program, a friendly meal, and an inspiring message.  Our special guest will be Ms. Jane Roberts, co-founder of 34 Million Friends of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA).

      The UNFPA does essential work around the world supporting reproductive health and the rights of women and girls.  They have special programs to prevent child marriage and to encourage girls to finish school.  One of the best ways to prevent human trafficking is to promote the economic security of women and girls.  UNFPA helps young women strive for greater control over their lives by giving them access to reproductive health services (information, contraceptives).  With greater freedom and security, women are able to contribute to the development of their families and their community.

      You can find more information about our Spring Dinner at our website here:

      www.una-okc.org/spring2012

      Tickets are $20 / each ... a bargain!  If you'd like me to reserve a place for you, give me a call: 405-760-5322.  Or, just reply to this email message.  I would be happy to put your name on our attendees list.

      As members of the United Nations Association, we believe in the values expressed in the United Nations charter.  We are determined:

      "To save succeeding generations from the scourge of war..., and

      "To reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

      "To establish conditions under which justice... can be maintained, and

      "To promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom."

      And, we're determined to be a vital force in our community for global education and involvement.

      Thanks for your support of our Association!

      Bill Bryant
      President, OKC Chapter
      United Nations Association of the USA
      phone 405-760-5322